How to find acceleration without mass?

In summary, in order to differentiate velocity with time, you need to cancel out the m's in a equation.
trollphysics
Can someone explain to me how it is done? I know you cancel the m's out in a formula but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your question is too vague for anyone to give a meaningful answer. If there is a specific context in which you need to know how to solve for acceleration, by all means post it.

differientiate velocity with time?

cepheid said:
Welcome to PF.

Your question is too vague for anyone to give a meaningful answer. If there is a specific context in which you need to know how to solve for acceleration, by all means post it.
no i mean like on a slope. My teacher said that you don't need mass if you have M = mu. So on a 45 degree angle ramp. The delta x would be 30m. Then you would need you can cancel out the m's in a equation.
quietrain said:
differientiate velocity with time?
no time. Just are given angle, delta x, mu

I think I understand what the question is. If I understand right, there's a mass on a sloped plane and there's a way to solve for the acceleration of the mass down it in terms of g, mu, and theta.

If you set up a free body diagram of the problem, you'll get the equation ma=mg sin(theta) - mu*N, where N is the normal force. N = mg cos(theta), so when you substitute and cancel the m's everywhere, you get:

a = g sin(theta) - mu*g cos(theta)

I think this is what you mean. In any case, try being more clear in your initial post next time.

You are also implying Einstein's Equivalence Principle...ALL masses accelerate at "g" at the surface of the earth...that is, it happens that gravitational and inertial acceleration are the same...

Just a thought, though it may be way off. Related to what Naty said. It sounds to me like the poster might be thinking of formulae for gravitational attraction relative to a specific body of known mass. If so, the process you may be looking for is:

F = (G.m1.m2)/d²
F = ma

So for a given mass:

a = F/m
= ((G.m1.m2)/d²)/m
= Gm/d²

Useful for calculating the orbits of satellites around the Earth or planets around stars etc.

1. How do you calculate acceleration without knowing the mass?

To calculate acceleration without knowing the mass, you need to use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass. If you know the force and acceleration, you can rearrange the formula to solve for mass.

2. Can you find acceleration without knowing the mass and force?

No, it is not possible to find acceleration without knowing both the mass and force. The formula for acceleration requires both variables in order to calculate the value.

3. Is there another way to find acceleration without using the mass?

No, the only way to accurately calculate acceleration is by using the formula a = F/m, which requires both the force and mass variables. Without knowing the mass, it is impossible to find the acceleration.

4. Are there any real-life scenarios where acceleration can be found without knowing the mass?

No, in all real-life scenarios, the mass and force are both known and used to calculate the acceleration. It is a fundamental law of physics that requires both variables to be present in order to find the acceleration.

5. How does finding acceleration without mass affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Not knowing the mass can greatly affect the accuracy of the acceleration calculation. Without this variable, the value of acceleration may be incorrect and not reflect the true motion of the object. It is important to have accurate and complete information in order to make accurate calculations.