How to find ampacity of 1/2 by 4 copper buss bar

• Thread starter Crazyhorse2882
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, 1000/in^2 is merely a "rule of thumb". 1000A/in^2 is the correct Ampacity for a 1/2" by 4" copper bus bar.
Crazyhorse2882
How to find ampacity of 1/2" by 4" copper buss bar

I have a question about finding ampacity of buss bar. I have a 1/2" by 4" copper buss bar and the only formula I can find in the NEC is 1000/in^2 but when I use this formula I come up with 500 amps and I'm being told that 1/2" by 4" copper bus bar is good for 2000 amps. Can somebody help me please and explain what I'm missing. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I know, [itex]1000/in^2[/itex] is merely a "rule of thumb".

http://www.stormcopper.com/design/ampacity-tables.htm

Am I missing something here? You have 2in^2 of copper bus bar(4*.5=2) and 1000 A/in^2 should be 2000A.
Correct? And ,yes, as per NEC (US) {250A/(1/4 in^2)} is acceptable. So 1000A/in^2 is correct.

I tell you why I'm confused, I read 1000/in^2 as 1000 divided by inches squared. I think the NEC would be right to rewrite that so it looks like multiplication

From ABB Switchgear Manual Table 13-4 Continuous current carrying capacity [AC up to 60 c/sec]
For indoor installation at 35oC.copper bar max.temp. 65oC.Continuous load.
10*100 mm [0.4”*4”] 1810 A
10*120 mm [0.4*5”] 2110

Crazyhorse2882 said:
I tell you why I'm confused, I read 1000/in^2 as 1000 divided by inches squared. I think the NEC would be right to rewrite that so it looks like multiplication

Your interpretation would imply that the larger the buss bar the less current it could carry, that should clue you in that somethings wrong.

Read it as 1000 amps per square inch for 2 square inches. (Driving 1000 miles per hour for 2 hours = 2000 miles).

Last edited:
Do the math with the units...if your math ends up with the wrong units - you have the formula wrong:

A/in^s * in^2 = A... amazing how many people do not use this simple check of their thinking.

1. What is ampacity and why is it important for a copper buss bar?

Ampacity refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that a wire or buss bar can safely carry without overheating or causing damage. It is an important factor to consider when using copper buss bars because exceeding the ampacity can lead to fire hazards and equipment damage.

2. How do I determine the ampacity of a 1/2 by 4 copper buss bar?

The ampacity of a copper buss bar can be determined by using the ampacity tables provided by the National Electric Code (NEC) or by using online calculators specifically designed for buss bars. These tables and calculators take into account factors such as the size and material of the buss bar, the type of insulation used, and the ambient temperature.

3. Can I exceed the ampacity of a copper buss bar?

No, it is not safe to exceed the ampacity of a copper buss bar. Doing so can lead to overheating, which can cause insulation damage and create a fire hazard. It is important to always choose a buss bar with an ampacity rating that meets or exceeds the electrical load it will be carrying.

4. What factors can affect the ampacity of a copper buss bar?

The ampacity of a copper buss bar can be affected by several factors, including the size and material of the buss bar, the type of insulation used, the ambient temperature, and the number of conductors in the buss bar. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the appropriate ampacity for a buss bar.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a copper buss bar?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when working with copper buss bars. This includes wearing protective gear, properly grounding the buss bar, and ensuring that the ampacity is not exceeded. It is also important to regularly inspect the buss bar for any signs of damage or wear and to replace it if necessary.