Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find angle after two rotations

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    I have coordinate system A with bases a, b, c.

Say I rotate the whole system 30 degrees, so that the angle between a and a' is 30 degrees.

Then I make another rotation so that this plane of rotation is perpendicular to that of the old one.

What is the angle between a and a' now?

I am trying to find the angles to use in a tensor transformation law, but I am having problems understanding what the angles will be between the old and new axes when a transformation isn't just a single rotation in one plane of the system.

Tia

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can write any rotation as a matrix multiplication. Then two rotations is given by the product of the two matrices.

For example, if you wrote 30 degrees around the z- axis, the rotation is given by
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & -sin(30) & 0 \\ sin(30) & cos(30) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & -\frac{1}{2} & 0\\ \frac{1}{2} & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}& 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

A rotation around the y-axis, through 30 degrees is given by
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} cos(30) & 0 &-sin(30)\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(30) & 0 & cos(30) \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & 0 & -\frac{1}{2} \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} & 0 & \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The two rotations together would be given by the product of the two matrices.

4. Jan 24, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook