How to find angular acceleration

In summary, we discussed the calculation of acceleration at a specific time t=0+ε, using the given equations for tangential and centripetal acceleration. We also considered the use of epsilon (ε) as a small quantity and the importance of correctly interpreting the angle in the equation atan(atan/acen). Finally, we clarified any confusion regarding the use of radians in the calculations.
Sneakatone
a)t=0 t=7
190/60*2pi=19.8 2950/60*2pi=308
308/7=41

I don't know what to do with acceleration with t=0.

b)for tangental I used the equation alpha*R

for centripetal I used w^2*R

c) I think the equation might be applied
atan(atan/acen)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 506
  • 2 PM.png
    2 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 7.24.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-11 at 7.24.38 PM.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Sneakatone said:
a)t=0 t=7
190/60*2pi=19.8 2950/60*2pi=308
308/7=41

I don't know what to do with acceleration with t=0.
You are told the acceleration is constant over the 7 seconds. The question asks for the acceleration at t=0+ε.

what do you mean? what does the E stand for?

Sneakatone said:
what do you mean? what does the E stand for?
It's epsilon, a fairly standard notation for an arbitrarily small (usually positive) quantity. In other words, it isn't asking for the acceleration exactly at t=0 (which would be impossible to determine) but the acceleration just a fraction later.
You are told the acceleration is constant over the 7 seconds, but that could mean over the interval [0, 7] or [0, 7) or (0, 7] or (0, 7). The point is that 0+ε lies in all of them, whereas 0 only lies in the first two.

so can I calculate the acceleration at 1 sec?

Sneakatone said:
so can I calculate the acceleration at 1 sec?
What's to calculate? The acceleration is constant, and you already know what it is .

so acceleration is the same being 41.28?

I have part a and b
for part c I used atan(atan/acen) to find angle but its incorrect.

Sneakatone said:
for part c I used atan(atan/acen) to find angle but its incorrect.
That's the right principle. Maybe you made an arithmetic error, or perhaps you need to consider that the radius, as a vector, points outwards, whereas the acceleration points somewhat inwards. (I.e., the centripetal acceleration is negative).

for t=0 I did 7.4(7.4/71.2)=0.76
t=7 7.4(7.4/17177)=0.0031

Sneakatone said:
for t=0 I did 7.4(7.4/71.2)=0.76
t=7 7.4(7.4/17177)=0.0031

You seem to have confused yourself by an overloaded abbreviation. You wrote previously "atan(atan/acen)", which I interpreted as arctan(atan/acen), since that is correct, but in your numerical working you have interpreted it as atan(atan/acen)

so I am suppose tan-1(7.4/71.2) ?

Last edited:
Sneakatone said:
so I am suppose tan-1(7.4/71.2) ?

Yes. Do you see why? Draw a right-angled triangle with the side opposite angle theta representing the tangential acceleration, 7.4, and the (non-hypotenuse) side adjacent representing the centripetal acceleration, 71.2. What would be the value of theta?

yes i do ,aslo my calculator was in radians at first so I got confused, Thanks for the help!

Related to How to find angular acceleration

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is the rate of change of angular velocity and is typically measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = Δω/Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a net torque acting on an object. Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate, and a net torque will cause an object to accelerate its rotation, resulting in angular acceleration.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The formula for linear acceleration, a, is a = rα, where r is the radius of rotation and α is the angular acceleration. This means that objects with larger radii of rotation will have smaller angular accelerations for the same linear acceleration.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular acceleration?

Some real-world examples of angular acceleration include a spinning top, a revolving door, a rotating wheel, and a swinging pendulum. In all of these examples, there is a change in angular velocity over time, resulting in angular acceleration.