1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Stack a steel beam on top of an aluminum beam. If you are given the Young's Modulus values (in psi) of each beam, try to predict the deflection of the "composite" beams.

Please view the "Hint" my teacher gave me in the pdf attachment in this post.

2. Relevant equations
    Well, where do I go? I know the standard equation for deflection of a cantilever beam, but when you have a composite beam, what is the effective E and I values? (E= Young's Modulus and I = area moment of inertia)

I can't quite tell how the spring thing even helps when all I am given are the Young's Modulus values of each beam?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I am not asking so much for a solution as for what direction I ought to head.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

champbronc2: You must list relevant equation(s) yourself, and show your work. We are not allowed to list relevant equation(s) for you, nor tell you how to do your homework. Make an attempt, and someone might check your math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook