How to find deflection of a composite cantilevered beam?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
champbronc2
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Stack a steel beam on top of an aluminum beam. If you are given the Young's Modulus values (in psi) of each beam, try to predict the deflection of the "composite" beams.

Please view the "Hint" my teacher gave me in the pdf attachment in this post.




Homework Equations


Well, where do I go? I know the standard equation for deflection of a cantilever beam, but when you have a composite beam, what is the effective E and I values? (E= Young's Modulus and I = area moment of inertia)

I can't quite tell how the spring thing even helps when all I am given are the Young's Modulus values of each beam?


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I am not asking so much for a solution as for what direction I ought to head.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
champbronc2: You must list relevant equation(s) yourself, and show your work. We are not allowed to list relevant equation(s) for you, nor tell you how to do your homework. Make an attempt, and someone might check your math.