How to find exact value of x/2=sinx?

• Thread starter greswd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, according to the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem, the numbers -1.895 and +1.895 are likely to be transcendental and cannot be determined exactly. This is because they are related to the algebraic numbers sin(x), cos(x), and tan(x), which have been proven to be transcendental by the theorem. Therefore, it is not possible to find the exact value of these roots.
greswd
According to Wolfram it is approx. -1.895

How do I find the exact value of the root though?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What makes you think it is a root? It probably is transcendental.

Of course, 0 is an exact solution, and +1.895 is also approximately a solution.

Khashishi said:
What makes you think it is a root? It probably is transcendental.

Of course, 0 is an exact solution, and +1.895 is also approximately a solution.

so how do we find the exact value of 1.895?

greswd said:
According to Wolfram it is approx. -1.895

How do I find the exact value of the root though?
I don't believe there is a way to find the exact value of the root that is near either -1.895 or +1.895. You can approximate either of these roots to whatever precision is needed using any number of numerical techniques, such as Newton's Method, Newton-Raphson, bisection, and others.

Thanks. So is it transcendental?

I think it is transcendental as a consequence of the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem.

If ##sin(x)## is algebraic (##x\neq 0##), so are ##x## (being equal to ##2sin(x)##) and ##cos(x)##.
That implies that ##e^{ix}## is algebraic too. But this contradict the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
I think it is transcendental as a consequence of the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem.
Wiki says the following:

Numbers proven to be transcendental:
sin(a), cos(a) and tan(a), and their multiplicative inverses csc(a), sec(a) and cot(a), for any nonzero algebraic number a (by the Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem).

1. How do I solve for x in the equation x/2 = sinx?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. Multiply both sides of the equation by 2 to get x = 2sinx. Then, use the identity sin(2x) = 2sinxcosx to rewrite the equation as x = sin(2x). Finally, use a graphing calculator or table of values to approximate the solution.

2. Can I use a calculator to find the exact value of x/2 = sinx?

No, you cannot use a calculator to find the exact value of x/2 = sinx. The solution to this equation is not a rational number and cannot be expressed in terms of simple fractions or decimals. It requires the use of trigonometric identities and approximations to find the closest value.

3. What are the possible solutions for x in x/2 = sinx?

There are infinitely many solutions for x in this equation. Since the graph of y = x/2 and the graph of y = sinx intersect an infinite number of times, there are an infinite number of values of x that satisfy this equation.

4. Is there a general formula for finding the exact value of x/2 = sinx?

No, there is no general formula for finding the exact value of x/2 = sinx. Each solution requires the use of different trigonometric identities and approximations. However, you can use a graphing calculator or table of values to approximate the solution.

5. Are there any special cases for finding the exact value of x/2 = sinx?

Yes, there are some special cases for finding the exact value of x/2 = sinx. For example, when x = 0, the equation becomes 0/2 = 0, which has a simple solution of x = 0. Additionally, the solutions for x in this equation will repeat in a pattern of 2π, so you can use this to find other solutions.