How to find polynomial roots on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus without PolySmlt?

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the root of a polynomial on a TI-84 Plus calculator without using the "Polynomial Root Finder and Simultaneous Equation Solver" app. The speaker mentions encountering difficulties in transferring the app and suggests asking a friend for it. It is then stated that there are formulas for finding roots of polynomials with degrees less than five, but not for degrees greater than or equal to five. The possibility of using Wolfram:Alpha or creating a program to find the roots is also mentioned. The speaker expresses surprise that this feature was not included in the calculator's OS.
moonman239
I'd like to know how to find the root of a polynomial on my TI-84 Plus without this "Polynomial Root Finder and Simultaneous Equation Solver" app. The reason is that the app's not in my calculator and I can't transfer the app to my calculator. I keep getting an "Access Denied" error message and it seems that my calculator has a mind of its own because I hear the dinging and the donging my computer makes whenever a USB device connects or disconnects.

Maybe I'll see if I can get the app from my friend Luke when school starts.

Anyways, is there any way to find the roots of a polynomial without the app?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it is fair to say that it depends on the polynomial. For a degree less than five, there is a formula that yields the roots (it is, though, extremely long.) For degrees greater than or equal to five, there is no absolute formula (as shown by Abel and Galois), but specific cases can be handled.

Also, I think Wolfram:Alpha can generate the roots. Google it. It is a website.

Millennial said:
I think it is fair to say that it depends on the polynomial. For a degree less than five, there is a formula that yields the roots (it is, though, extremely long.) For degrees greater than or equal to five, there is no absolute formula (as shown by Abel and Galois), but specific cases can be handled.

Also, I think Wolfram:Alpha can generate the roots. Google it. It is a website.

Thanks. Yes, I know about Wolfram:Alpha.
I wonder why something so basic wasn't baked into the OS. They could have put it into the Equation Solver.

I guess I could write a program that would just try values of x and note which x values cause y to approximately equal 0. I would want to figure out how many zeroes there are.

There are a few ways to find polynomial roots on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus without using the PolySmlt app. One method is to use the calculator's built-in function, "zero," which can be accessed by pressing the "2nd" button followed by the "calc" button. This function allows you to find the x-intercepts of a graph, which correspond to the roots of a polynomial. However, this method may not be as accurate as using the PolySmlt app.

Another option is to use the calculator's "solve" function, which can be accessed by pressing the "math" button followed by the "0" button. This function allows you to solve equations for a specific variable, so you can input your polynomial as an equation and solve for the variable x to find the roots.

You can also use the calculator's "graph" function to graph the polynomial and visually determine the roots by looking for the points where the graph crosses the x-axis.

It is also possible to manually calculate the roots of a polynomial using the quadratic formula or other methods, but this may be more time-consuming and prone to errors.

In terms of the "Access Denied" error message you are receiving, it is possible that your calculator's operating system needs to be updated or that there is an issue with your USB connection. You may want to try troubleshooting these issues before attempting to transfer the app from your friend's calculator.

1. How do I find polynomial roots on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus without using PolySmlt?

To find polynomial roots on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus without PolySmlt, you can use the built-in function "zero" or "solve". These functions can be accessed by pressing "2nd" then "CALC" on your calculator.

2. Can I find all the roots of a polynomial using this method?

Unfortunately, this method can only find real roots of a polynomial. If the polynomial has complex roots, they will not be shown using the "zero" or "solve" functions on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus calculator.

3. How do I enter a polynomial into my calculator to find its roots?

To enter a polynomial into your calculator, you can use the "Y=" button to access the equation editor. Use the arrow keys to move between the different parts of the equation and enter the coefficients and exponents accordingly. Once you have entered the equation, press "GRAPH" to see the graph of the polynomial.

4. Is there a limit to the degree of the polynomial that can be solved using this method?

There is no specific limit to the degree of the polynomial that can be solved using the "zero" or "solve" functions on a TI-83 or TI-84 Plus calculator. However, as the degree increases, the calculation may take longer and the accuracy may decrease.

5. Can I use this method for polynomials with multiple variables?

No, this method is only applicable for polynomials with one variable. If the polynomial has multiple variables, you will need to use a different method or software to find its roots.