Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators TI-84 Plus for $79.99 after rebate, Sun/Mon Only

Tags:
  1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    I just got my Staples ad for the coming week via email, and saw they have advertised for two days only (Aug 23 and 24) TI-84 graphing calculators for $79.99 after rebate.

No, I do not own, work for, or have stock in Staples....but this is the lowest price I have ever seen for this graphing calculator, and I know many schools now require a TI-84 or -83 for certain math/physics courses.

Please check your local store - I think the sale price might vary by location. Also, I think $30 of the savings might be in the form of a gift card that gets mailed to you later.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(supresses spam alert)

Thanks JF.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Before you get one, check out something like Geogebra or even Wolfram Alpha. They're both free, and they'll both do everything you'll use a TI-84 for.

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"free"...assuming that you already have a computer, which is portable or has internet access.

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5
    For that matter, just about anything you'd need a TI for you can do with the calculator app in Windows. But.... too many classes now 'require' a TI-grapher.

7. Aug 22, 2009 #6
    Well, yeah.

Yeah, but I wonder how much that matters. Are engineering students really out of luck on their tests if they don't have graphing calculators, or is it just customary for syllabi, even in middle schools now, to require them? I really have no idea.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  8. Aug 22, 2009 #7
    This is my concern. Previously, they were required (or at least 'strongly recommended') for all of the courses I teach. I changed the syllabi for all my classes to exclude their requirement.

Still, my youngest son enters his middle-school Algebra I class in two days, and I will be buying him one (*sigh*).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook