How to find the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet?

In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, g, inside the planet is given by: g(R) = \frac{Gp(4/3)*π*R^3}{R^2}.
Johnnie123
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Consider a spherical planet of uniform density ρ. The distance from the planet's center to its surface (i.e., the planet's radius) is R. An object is located a distance R from the center of the planet, where R < Rp. (The object is located inside of the planet.)

1) Find an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, g(R), inside the planet.

2) Rewrite your result for g(R) in terms of gp, the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the planet, times a function of R.

Relevant equations:

$$g = \frac{GM}{R^2}$$

So, I have seen this question on the forum before, but I am still unsure about the concept.

For 1, I found $$g(R) = \frac{Gp(4/3)*π*R^3}{R^2}$$, which is the correct answer. However, I do not understand why R^3 in the numerator is R^3 and not (R_p)^3. In the equation $$g = \frac{GM}{R^2}$$ M is the entire mass of the planet or spherical body. Wouldn't that require $$M=p*(4/3)*π*R^3$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the math so I can't tell but - are you taking into account Newton's Shell Theorem?

Johnnie123 said:
Consider a spherical planet of uniform density ρ. The distance from the planet's center to its surface (i.e., the planet's radius) is R. An object is located a distance R from the center of the planet, where R < Rp. (The object is located inside of the planet.)

1) Find an expression for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity, g(R), inside the planet.

2) Rewrite your result for g(R) in terms of gp, the gravitational acceleration at the surface of the planet, times a function of R.

Relevant equations:

$$g = \frac{GM}{R^2}$$

So, I have seen this question on the forum before, but I am still unsure about the concept.

For 1, I found $$g(R) = \frac{Gp(4/3)*π*R^3}{R^2}$$, which is the correct answer. However, I do not understand why R^3 in the numerator is R^3 and not (R_p)^3. In the equation $$g = \frac{GM}{R^2}$$ M is the entire mass of the planet or spherical body. Wouldn't that require $$M=p*(4/3)*π*R^3$$

Your post is difficult to understand because you seem to use the same letters for different quantities, starting with ##R## being the radius of the planet and ##R## also being the variable distance from the centre.

You could use ##r## for the variable radius and ##m## for the mass enclosed by a shell of radius ##r##.

In answer to your question, when you are inside the planet, is the entire mass of the planet pulling the object towards the centre?

The post above, pointing you at the shell theorem is a good hint.

PeroK said:
Your post is difficult to understand because you seem to use the same letters for different quantities, starting with ##R## being the radius of the planet and ##R## also being the variable distance from the centre.
Ah. OK. I thought maybe what he was demoing was just beyond me.:smile:

1. How is the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet different from that on the surface?

The acceleration due to gravity inside a planet is different because it depends on the mass and radius of the planet. As you move closer to the center of the planet, the gravitational force becomes stronger due to the mass of the planet being concentrated at the center.

2. Can the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet be negative?

No, the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet cannot be negative. Gravity is always a attractive force, meaning it pulls objects towards the center of the planet. Therefore, the acceleration due to gravity will always be a positive value.

3. How do scientists determine the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet?

Scientists can determine the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet by using the equation g = G(M/R^2), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and R is the radius of the planet. They can also use instruments such as gravimeters to measure the gravitational pull at different depths inside the planet.

4. Does the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet change with depth?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet changes with depth. As you move closer to the center of the planet, the gravitational force becomes stronger, resulting in a higher acceleration due to gravity. This is because the mass of the planet is concentrated at the center and the gravitational force follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases with distance.

5. Is the acceleration due to gravity inside a planet affected by the rotation of the planet?

Yes, the rotation of a planet can affect the acceleration due to gravity inside it. This is because the centrifugal force caused by the rotation can slightly decrease the gravitational force at the equator, resulting in a slightly lower acceleration due to gravity compared to the poles. However, this effect is usually very small and not significant for most planets.