1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the acceleration due to gravity

Tags:
  1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person shakes pendulum with length 3.6 meters. For 12 shakes he measured the time of 38 seconds. Find the acceleration due to gravity

2. Relevant equations
    T=t/n
    T=2*pi*sqrt(l/g)

3. The attempt at a solution
    T(period)=t/n=3.167
    T=2*pi*sqrt(l/g) l-length
    g=4*(pi)^2*l/T^2
    g=14.156
    The solution in my book is 9.4 m/s^2. Where is my error?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your solution method looks fine.

Perhaps there's an error in the book (Sometimes they update problems with new editions but fail to update the answer key), or there's something about the definition of "shakes" that we're missing. Is the problem statement a translation?

4. Mar 23, 2016 #3
    Yes

5. Mar 23, 2016 #4

gneill

What is the original language? Is there more information in the original problem statement that you haven't shown?

6. Mar 23, 2016 #5
    I have given all the information. The correct answer is 9.4 m/S^2

7. Mar 23, 2016 #6

gneill

Your answer is correct (if you round to the correct number of significant figures). I don't agree with the book's answer.

8. Mar 23, 2016 #7

gneill

Was the pendulum a simple pendulum (mass bob on a string) or something else, like a solid rod?

9. Mar 23, 2016 #8
  10. Mar 23, 2016 #9

gneill

11. Mar 23, 2016 #10

gneill, did you use paint to draw that picture or what program did you use, i really want to know . Sorry for saying something not related to OP

12. Mar 23, 2016 #11

gneill

The picture came from the OP's link. I just cut-and-pasted it to make it visible in-thread; off-site links have a tendency to disappear over time.

I do make quite a few images for posting here though. I use an old version of Visio to make them.

13. Mar 23, 2016 #12
    many thanks to you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted