• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the acceleration due to gravity

1. Homework Statement
A person shakes pendulum with length 3.6 meters. For 12 shakes he measured the time of 38 seconds. Find the acceleration due to gravity

2. Homework Equations
T=t/n
T=2*pi*sqrt(l/g)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
T(period)=t/n=3.167
T=2*pi*sqrt(l/g) l-length
g=4*(pi)^2*l/T^2
g=14.156
The solution in my book is 9.4 m/s^2. Where is my error?

gneill

Mentor
Your solution method looks fine.

Perhaps there's an error in the book (Sometimes they update problems with new editions but fail to update the answer key), or there's something about the definition of "shakes" that we're missing. Is the problem statement a translation?

Your solution method looks fine.

Perhaps there's an error in the book (Sometimes they update problems with new editions but fail to update the answer key), or there's something about the definition of "shakes" that we're missing. Is the problem statement a translation?
Yes

gneill

Mentor
What is the original language? Is there more information in the original problem statement that you haven't shown?

What is the original language? Is there more information in the original problem statement that you haven't shown?
I have given all the information. The correct answer is 9.4 m/S^2

gneill

Mentor
Your answer is correct (if you round to the correct number of significant figures). I don't agree with the book's answer.

gneill

Mentor
Was the pendulum a simple pendulum (mass bob on a string) or something else, like a solid rod?

gneill

Mentor
gneill, did you use paint to draw that picture or what program did you use, i really want to know . Sorry for saying something not related to OP
The picture came from the OP's link. I just cut-and-pasted it to make it visible in-thread; off-site links have a tendency to disappear over time.

I do make quite a few images for posting here though. I use an old version of Visio to make them.

The picture came from the OP's link. I just cut-and-pasted it to make it visible in-thread; off-site links have a tendency to disappear over time.

I do make quite a few images for posting here though. I use an old version of Visio to make them.
many thanks to you