How to Find the Differential of a Function at a Specific Point?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
In summary, to find the differential of a function, you can use the formula $df= \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial x}dx+ \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial y}dy+ \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial y}dy$, where each sum is vector addition. The differential is then represented as a matrix, with dimensions corresponding to the function mapping from $R^3$ to $R^2$. To find the differential at a specific point, (x,y,z), you evaluate each partial derivative at that point.
Poirot1
let f:R^3->R^2 be given by $f(x,y,z)=(x^2+y^2+z^2,xyz)$ I want to find it's differential at a point (x,y,z). I can find the represnting matrix w.r.t standard basis i.e. the matrix of partial derivatives but how do I use this to find ,say, the differential of f at (1,0,-1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: finding the differential

You can do
$$df= \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial x}dx+ \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial y}dy+ \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial y}dy,$$
where each sum is vector addition. That is, $df$ is a vector made up of
$$df= \begin{bmatrix} df_{1} \\ df_{2}\end{bmatrix},$$
and you follow the usual rules for finding the differential of each component.

Is it usual just to present it as the matrix? Also, how do you recover the vector in R^2 from the matrix?

So the differential at (1,0,-1) (in matrix form) is [2,0,-2]
............. [0,-1,0]

but what is this in R^2?

I get
$$df(1,0,-1)=\begin{bmatrix}2\,dx-2 \, dy \\ -dy \end{bmatrix}.$$
As a slight correction to Jameson's post, I think I would write it as
$$df= \begin{bmatrix} f_{1x} & f_{1y} & f_{1z} \\ f_{2x} &f_{2y} &f_{2z}\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} dx \\ dy \\ dz \end{bmatrix}.$$

Yep, that's exactly it. The dimensions of my matrix didn't work with the function mapping R^3 to R^2. You're also right that the (x, y, z) coordinate should be evaluated for each partial derivative in the matrix. Thanks for clearing this up. (Yes)

Related to How to Find the Differential of a Function at a Specific Point?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find the differential equation of a given function?

In order to find the differential equation of a given function, you must take the derivative of the function using the appropriate rules and techniques. This will result in an equation that contains both the function and its derivatives.

3. What is the purpose of finding the differential equation?

The purpose of finding the differential equation of a function is to understand the relationship between the function and its derivatives. This can help us make predictions and solve problems in various fields of study.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary and partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are commonly used in single-variable functions, while partial differential equations are used in multi-variable functions.

5. What methods can be used to solve differential equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. The appropriate method will depend on the specific type and complexity of the differential equation being solved.