1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the impedance on this circuit

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the total impedance for this circuit below. No values are given so I just need to write out an equation.

Untitled.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a hard time deciding what is in parallel/series. I took a guess and came up with:

( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc ) + ( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc )

So I assumed the top two components are in parallel, same with the bottom two.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Parentheses are free, so use all that are needed. This expression is incomplete; it might mean something to you, to everyone else we can only guess. Except for some notable exceptions, whitespace means nothing in mathematical expressions.

Yes, and those pairs are themselves connected in series.

If the R's are equal, likewise the C's, then you could find total Z by just doubling the impedance of one RC combo.

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3

LvW

The question is not clear.
    Do you speak about the INPUT impedance as seen by Vin or the OUTPUT impedance as seen by Vout?
    (By the way: From your answer I can imagine what you mean - nevertheless, you should learn to ask clear questions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted