1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC parallel circuit, find the value of R and C

1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The circuit is a Parallel RC

Z= 105KΩ∠-27 and Frequency is 50 Hz.

I was given the following information and hints.

1/z = 1/R + jwc

I need to find the common denominator of 1/R + jwc, Invert it to find z and simplify Z into one real and one imaginary part.

2. Relevant equations

Need to find the value of R and C

3. The attempt at a solution

I started with finding the common denominator,

= 1/R +(jwc*R)/R

1/z = (1+jwRC)/R

To find z i simplified the equation above,

R = z(1+jwCR)

z = R/(1+jwCR)

Im not sure if i did this right as i cant find R and C. Any help will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why not start by calculating 1/Z, since you're given a numerical (complex) value for Z?

4. Mar 28, 2014 #3
    If i do 1/z i would get 8.485x10-6 +j 4.323x10-4. Im not sure on how i would get and RC from 1/z = (1+jwRC)/R.

5. Mar 28, 2014 #4

gneill

You don't need RC. You can pick out the admittances of the two components directly from the complex value of 1/z.

1/z is the admittance of the parallel circuit. How do admittances in parallel add?

(The resistor analogy is two conductances in parallel).

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5
    I worked out R= 118K ohm and C = 1.37x10-8. I checked by putting the values back into the equation and got the correct z. I guess i dont understand what my lecturer is going on about finding the common denominator etc.

7. Mar 28, 2014 #6

gneill

I suppose your lecturer had envisioned a different path to solution. But this one is pretty straightforward, no?

8. Mar 28, 2014 #7
    I agree that the way you have explained is much simpler, ill ask my lecturer on what his method is. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted