How to find the input resistance of an amplifier?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
Write KVL for the left hand loop. Note that ix is the same as ib.

Ok, that worked out pretty nicely! Thank you very much. So just to clarify, when I am doing this type of exercises I need to use KVL's all the time or does it depend? I am really new to amplifiers so I am trying to get where all this is coming from.
 
jean28 said:
Ok, that worked out pretty nicely! Thank you very much. So just to clarify, when I am doing this type of exercises I need to use KVL's all the time or does it depend? I am really new to amplifiers so I am trying to get where all this is coming from.

You use whatever circuit analysis method suits the given circuit arrangement -- choosing which method is simplest to use comes from practice. Here you wanted to find the ratio vx/ix, and those would be principle variables in the KVL for that loop.

I suppose you could apply KCL at node E to find the node voltage there, and then use that and vx to find ix, and then finally determine the ratio vx/ix, but it seems like more work to me.
 
gneill said:
You use whatever circuit analysis method suits the given circuit arrangement -- choosing which method is simplest to use comes from practice. Here you wanted to find the ratio vx/ix, and those would be principle variables in the KVL for that loop.

I suppose you could apply KCL at node E to find the node voltage there, and then use that and vx to find ix, and then finally determine the ratio vx/ix, but it seems like more work to me.

So I treat it as if I was analyzing any other circuit. Then what exactly does the blue highlighted area mean/represent?
 
jean28 said:
So I treat it as if I was analyzing any other circuit. Then what exactly does the blue highlighted area mean/represent?

It happens to be a simple equivalent circuit (or model) of a transistor.