Find the voltage gain, input and output resistance amplifier

In summary, the voltage gain Av=Vo/V1, the input resistance R1, and the output resistance Ro of the amplifier circuit can be found by solving two equations and zeroing out all independent sources. The input and output resistance of the op amp itself is 2 megaohms and 75 ohms, respectively. The gain of the op amp is 0.5x10^6.
sugz
I am having a difficult time solving the question in Step 2 of the attachment. The question is "Use the equivalent-circuit model of the uA 741 to find: The voltage gain Av=vo/v1, the input resistance R1, and the output resistance Ro of the amplifier circuit.
lab step 1.jpg
lab step 2.jpg

Attempt at solution:

I used the equivalent circuit model of the uA 741 to create two equations. My understanding is that I solve for V1 in the first equations and substitute it into the second equation to get the voltage gain Av=Vo/V1, where Vs is V1 in my equations. The problem I am having is how am I supposed to find the input and output resistance, where I don't know V1,
steps.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A few things to note...

The voltage gain Av and the op amp gain Avo are two very different things.

What is the input/output resistance of an ideal Op-amp (not this circuit, just the op amp).
What is the gain of an ideal op amp?
To find input and output resistances you zero out all independent sources.

Also the dependent source on the output of your op amp should be
AVD=Avo*(Vin+ - Vin-)

another question... with negative feedback in an ideal amplifier, what is the relationship between Vin- and Vin+

Likes sugz
donpacino said:
A few things to note...

The voltage gain Av and the op amp gain Avo are two very different things.

What is the input/output resistance of an ideal Op-amp (not this circuit, just the op amp).
What is the gain of an ideal op amp?
To find input and output resistances you zero out all independent sources.

Also the dependent source on the output of your op amp should be
AVD=Avo*(Vin+ - Vin-)

another question... with negative feedback in an ideal amplifier, what is the relationship between Vin- and Vin+
The input and output resistance of the op amp itself is 2 megaohms and 75 ohms, respectively. The gain of the op amp 0.5x10^6. This is the second week of this course, where we haven't learned much of this. I am confused if I am missing something. I am not sure I quite follow what you mean when you say to "to find the input and output resistance you zero out all independent sources. Please help!

sugz said:
The input and output resistance of the op amp itself is 2 megaohms and 75 ohms, respectively. The gain of the op amp 0.5x10^6. This is the second week of this course, where we haven't learned much of this. I am confused if I am missing something. I am not sure I quite follow what you mean when you say to "to find the input and output resistance you zero out all independent sources. Please help!
to find the input and output resistances set all independant sources (read Vs) to zero..
so set Vs=0

donpacino said:
to find the input and output resistances set all independant sources (read Vs) to zero..
so set Vs=0
Is the input and output resistance being asked in part (a) different from the input and output resistance of the op amp itself (i.e. 2 MegaOhms and 75 Ohms, respectively)?

sugz said:
Is the input and output resistance being asked in part (a) different from the input and output resistance of the op amp itself (i.e. 2 MegaOhms and 75 Ohms, respectively)?
For part (a) you must analyse the circuit you have drawn. As donpacino says, you set Vs to zero, and apply a voltage to the circuit's output. Determine the current that flows from this, and their quotient tells you the circuit's output impedance.

sugz said:
yes they are different. remember that there are two resistors in the circuit in addition to the op amp

donpacino said:
yes they are different. remember that there are two resistors in the circuit in addition to the op amp
Most important: These two resistors provide negative feedback!
The ouput resistance Ro of the opamp is reduced drastically using feedback .
The resulting output resistance is r,out=Ro/(1+LG)
with Loop gain LG= Aol*beta (beta: feedback factor).

1. What is voltage gain?

Voltage gain is the ratio of output voltage to input voltage in an amplifier. It is a measure of how much the signal has been amplified.

2. How is voltage gain calculated?

Voltage gain can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. It can also be expressed in decibels (dB) using the formula: 20 log (Vout/Vin).

3. What is input resistance?

Input resistance is the resistance seen by the input signal at the input terminal of an amplifier. It is important because it determines how much of the input signal is lost or attenuated before it reaches the amplifier.

4. What is output resistance?

Output resistance is the resistance seen by the output signal at the output terminal of an amplifier. It is important because it determines how much of the output signal is lost or attenuated when it is passed to the next stage in the circuit.

5. How do I measure the voltage gain, input resistance and output resistance of an amplifier?

The voltage gain can be measured by applying a known input signal and measuring the resulting output signal. The input and output resistance can be calculated by measuring the voltage across and current through the respective terminals using a multimeter and using Ohm's law to find the resistance.