How to find the integral of the secant function

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving integrals involving hyperbolic and trigonometric functions. The speaker first uses the substitution method to solve an integral involving arccosine and logarithms, and then discusses using the Tanh(x/2) and tan(x/2) substitutions for solving integrals. They also mention the importance of being careful with signs when working with hyperbolic functions.
frozen7
[tex] \int \sec hx[/tex]
I solve it in this way:
[tex] \int \arccos hx[/tex]
[tex] \int \ln (x^2 + \sqrt{x^2 -1}) dx [/tex]

Then, I substitute [tex] u = \ln (x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1})[/tex]
then I get
[tex] x\ln(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1}) - \int x/\sqrt{x^2 + 1}dx[/tex]

and then I substitute v = x^2 + 1

[tex] x\ln(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1}) -1/2 \int v^(1/2) dv [/tex]
and finally I get the answer,
[tex] x\ln(x + \sqrt{x^2 + 1}) -\sqrt{x^2 + 1} + C [/tex]

Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the Tanh(x/2) substitution.

tan (x/2) substitution? How?

Your second integral doesn't equal your first integral.
sech(x) is NOT equal to arcosh(x)!

sech(x) is the RECIPROCAL* of cosh(x), arcosh(x) is the (functional) INVERSE of cosh(x).

*Sometimes called the multiplicative inverse.

Do you know how to integrate sec(x)? Because a lot of times you can follow very similar procecures working with hyperbolic functions as with trigonometric ones. You just have to be careful about the signs of terms in certain identiies (eg, sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 becomes cosh^2(x)-sinh^2(x)=1). Another approach would be to write sech out in terms of e^x and e^-x, and then use the substitution u=e^x.

1. How do I find the integral of the secant function?

To find the integral of the secant function, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. Both methods involve breaking down the secant function into simpler, integrable functions and then solving for the integral using rules of integration.

2. What is the substitution method for finding the integral of the secant function?

The substitution method involves substituting u = sec(x) or u = tan(x) in place of sec(x) in the integral. This allows you to rewrite the integral in terms of u and then use the rules of integration to solve for the integral.

3. Can you provide an example of using integration by parts to find the integral of the secant function?

Yes, for example, if we have the integral of sec(x)dx, we can use integration by parts by letting u = sec(x) and dv = dx. This will give us du = sec(x)tan(x)dx and v = x. We can then use the formula ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu to solve for the integral.

4. Is there a general formula for finding the integral of the secant function?

Yes, there is a general formula for finding the integral of the secant function, which is ∫sec(x)dx = ln|sec(x) + tan(x)| + C. This formula can be derived using the substitution method or integration by parts.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the integral of the secant function?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the integral of the secant function. For example, if the integral involves an odd power of sec(x), the substitution method may not work and you may need to use a different method such as partial fractions. Additionally, if the integral involves the inverse trigonometric function arcsin(x), you may need to use integration by parts. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and choose the appropriate method for solving it.