1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the minimum of an integral with calculus of variations

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    I need to find the minimum of this integral

F=∫ (αy^-1+βy^3+δxy)dx

where α, β and δ are constant; y is a function of x

the integral is calculated over the interval [0,L], where L is constant

I need to find the function y that minimizes the above-mentioned integral

The integral is subject to the following constraint

N=∫ydx

where N is a constant and the integral interval is again [0,L]

Anyone can help?
    Is it possible to find an analytical solution?
    Thanks

Ps:Sorry for the bad format, it's my first post

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This does not look anything like a Calculus of Variations problem, because dy/dx is not involved in the integrand. Instead, you can just minimize the integrand for each x (to get a function y(x)). More precisely, you can look at the "Lagrangian" type problem, where yu want to minimize int f(x,y) dx + r* int y dx with no constraints; here, r is a "lagrange multiplier" and note that it is a constant, not a function of x. So, your integrand is of the form
    [tex]f(x,y) = \frac{a}{y} + b y^3 + c x y + r y,[/tex]
    where I have used 'a' instead of , 'b' instead of β and 'c' instead of δ. If a > 0 and b > 0 we can minimize f by setting [itex] \partial f/\partial y = 0 [/itex] for each x and solve for y. There are 4 roots, but for b > 0 it seems there are only two relevant roots, both of which contain the parameter r. Determine r by asking that int y dx = N. (This will be a nasty problem that almost certainly needs a numerical approach for given a, b, c and L.)

If a and/or b < 0, there may not be a minimum at all; we may be able to find a sequence y_n(x) giving int f(x,y_n(x)) dx --> -infinity, while keeping int y_n(x) dx = N for each n. (I am not absolutely sure about this, but I think it is true.)

RGV

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook