1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the radius in each of these integrals?

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: y = sqrt(x), y=0, x=3

Find the volume of the solid bounded by these functions, revolved around B) y-axis and C) line x=3. (Disk method)

2. Relevant equations
    Disk method of finding volume using π ∫ r2dy

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so, the part of the problem that I am having trouble on is how to find the radius. I know that both integrals will be with respect to dy with the limits being 0 and sqrt(3) and I understand that these two integrals SHOULD be different, but I'm not sure what that difference is in terms of the radius in πr2.

Please refer to the solution to B and C given in this link (http://www.calcchat.com/book/Calculus-10e/7/2/11/). My question is, why is the radius [32 - (y2)2] in B and why is the radius [3-y2]2 in C. My problem is understanding why the power of 2 is distributed differently and how I'm supposed to interpret that based on the problem.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Celestor, welcome to PF :smile: !

Your question is a bit strange. The radius itself isn't [ 32-(y2)2 ] in b. What do you get when you rotate the shaded area around the y-axis ?

[edit] I mean the dark shaded rectangular area....​

In (c) you rotate around the line x = 3, so what do you get when you rotate the shaded area around the dashed line ?

[edit] cute that you get to see the exercise worked out at the website. But doesn't that prevent you from first trying to find your own path towards a solution ?​

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted