How to Find the Velocity of Mass 9m at the Bottom?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
clicwar
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A lever of length 3L can rotate freely around a horizontal axis O.
The end of each arm "2L" and "L" of the lever has one mass : "4m" and "9m" , respectively.

Find the velocity of mass "9m" at the bottom.
Consider that the lever was initially at rest in the horizontal position.

Homework Equations


The problem is in a chapter of work and energy, before the conceps of torque and moment of inercia, so i guess that only energy and work can solve this.
But any solution/hint with any method will be welcome.

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm trying to apply conservation of energy, but I'm confused if the whole system is conservating energy or only part of it.

I really need a hint of how start this problem or if possible a solution of it.

Thanks in advance!
 
Attachments
  • imagem.jpg
    imagem.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 595
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that only the gravitational forces are acting on the system "lever+masses". I can't see any other possible force able to do work.
 
clicwar said:
I'm trying to apply conservation of energy, but I'm confused if the whole system is conservating energy or only part of it.
Since everything is connected, treat the system as a whole. How does the mechanical energy change as the system rotates?
 
The mechanical energy of the system as whole is doesn't changing ... right?
(Does the support O of the lever is doing work?) .
 
clicwar said:
The mechanical energy of the system as whole is doesn't changing ... right?
Right.
(Does the support O of the lever is doing work?)
I interpret "rotate freely" as saying that there is no friction, and thus no mechanical energy lost to friction. The support O does no work, since it doesn't move.
 
Doc Al said:
I interpret "rotate freely" as saying that there is no friction, and thus no mechanical energy lost to friction. The support O does no work, since it doesn't move.

Thank you very much for the help DocAl. The sentence quoted above is exactly what i was looking for.