How to find the volume ratio of two tanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter GBA13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ratio Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
GBA13
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a problem:
So one tank is pressurised and then a pipe connecting this tank to a smaller one is opened so air can flow into the smaller tank. You then wait for the pressure to settle and read some pressure for each cylinder values.

I need to find two ways to measure the volume ratio of the larger tank to the smaller one. I think I've got one but not another

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I think you can consider it an isothermal process as the gas temp stays constant and this results in the equation to get V1/V2 = P2/P1. But I'm really stuck on how to find another way to do it.

Could anyone offer me a hand?

Thanks so much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Really that was about it, we pressurised the first container to about 130 kPA and then allowed the two pressures in both containers to settle. The pressure in the big tank dropped to about 121 kPa and the smaller one increased to about 119 kPa. Also the temperature stayed constant so I don't think it could be adiabatic. Sorry if this isn't clear but that is really all that we did and all the data we where told to collect.
 
Bystander said:
See "Burnett expansion."

I googled Burnett expansion but there isn't really anything on it, I keep on getting stuck at pay walls!
 
Wow! I see what you mean. Did find one --- "Properties of Water and Steam: Proceedings of the 11th International ..." that shows enough text to tell you what the Burnett method is about.