1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the density inside a tank as air escapes

1. Dec 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tank of constant volume V contains air at an initial density pi. Air is discharged isothermally from the tank at a constant volumetric rate of Q (with SI units of m^3/s). Assuming that the discharged air has the same density as that of the air in the tank, find an expression for the density in the tank, p(t).

There's also a diagram of the circular control volume V with one outlet which air escapes at Q.

2. Relevant equations
    Mass conservation equation is integral of (p dv) + integral of (pv*dA) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the equation down to dp/dt = (-pi*Q)/V but that's not right so I'm not sure what to do from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2017 #2

stockzahn

Gold Member

There must be something wrong with this equation. The two summands have different dimensions.

Plus I suggest to use the common symbols. The density's symbol is ##\rho## (rho), whereas ##p## stands for the pressure. Also the symbol ##v## is confusing (I suppose it should be the velocity). However, try to use the common symbols and also explain them in the text, if they could be ambiguously (##v## also could be the specific volume, then ##\int p dv## would be something completely different).

4. Dec 13, 2017 #3

Okay, I'm new to this but I meant to say ##\int ##\rho## dv## + ##\int ##\rho## V dA##

I can't quite get the syntax down. But its the integral with respect to the control volume of the density * the dv (volume) + the integral with respect to the surface area of the density * the volume * dA (Area)

5. Dec 13, 2017 #4

stockzahn

Gold Member

Regarding the syntax: You only have to write two hashtags before and after the entire expression, not for every symbol.

However, the first summand in your equation ##\int \rho dv## has the unit ##kg/m^3 \cdot m^3 = kg##. The second summand in your equation ##\int \rho v dA## has the unit ##kg/m^3 \cdot m^3 \cdot m^2 = kg\cdot m^2##. So the units are not consistent.

You start with an initial mass of air ##m_0## in the tank. Then there is a mass flow ##\dot{m}## exiting the tank with time. Now the mass conservation says that the mass in the tank must be the initial mass minus the air flow over the time.

##m_0-\dot{m}t=m\left(t\right)##

Based on this equation, try to find the answer by substituting, re-arranging etc.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted