How to find the wavelength of a Photon with no mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
nukeman
Messages
651
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Hey guys, So I just did a problem here: (its find wavelength of particle with mass)
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=596936

But I need to figure out how to find the wavelength of a Photon with no mass.

I know the formula I need is this: wavelength = c/f = hc/Energy

BUT... What would be a general question that would ask this? What variable would be given, as in the problem I listed above trying to find the wavelength of a particle with mass, I was given the speed, so I could then plug into equation.

What would I be given to ask to find the wavelength of a photo with no mass?

Much thanks!





Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can think at the moment, a problem might provide any of the following types of information and ask you to find the wavelength:
  • frequency
  • photon energy
  • photon momentum
  • frequency and refractive index, if the photon is not traveling in vacuum
  • frequency and speed, if the photon is not traveling in vacuum
  • details of a diffraction or interference experiment