Finding three orders of integration for a triple integral over unusual region

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
mistahkurtz
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


fvwwS.png


2. The attempt at a solution

It's not hard to find two orders of integration.

(1) Integrate first with respect to [tex]x_3[/tex], then with respect to [tex]x_2[/tex], and then with respect to [tex]x_1[/tex], by dividing D into two regions:

[tex]D = \{x \in R^3 \mid -1 \leq x_1 < 0, -\sqrt{1-x_1^2} \leq x_2 \leq \sqrt{1-x_1^2}, -\sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2} \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex] [tex]\cup \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, -\sqrt{1-x_1^2} \leq x_2 \leq 1-x_1, -\sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2} \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex]

(2) Integrate first with respect to [tex]x_3[/tex], then with respect to [tex]x_1[/tex], and then with respect to [tex]x_2[/tex], by dividing D into three regions

[tex]D = \{x \in R^3 \mid -1 \leq x_2 < 1, -\sqrt{1-x_2^2} \leq x_1 < 0, -\sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2} \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex] [tex]\cup \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_2 \leq 1, 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1-x_2, -\sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2} \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex] [tex]\cup \{x \in R^3 \mid -1 \leq x_2 \leq 0, 0 \leq x_1 \leq \sqrt{1-x_2^2}, -\sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2} \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex]

(3) I'm having difficulty finding how to define D so that I can integrate first with respect to [tex]x_2[/tex] or [tex]x_1[/tex], then with respect to [tex]x_3[/tex], and last with respect to [tex]x_1[/tex] or [tex]x_2[/tex]. The problem is that the limits of [tex]x_3[/tex] depend on both [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex], and I can't seem to manipulate the inequalities correctly to give me what I want.

I tried following the method used in Example 5 here (http://www.math.umn.edu/~nykamp/m2374/readings/tripintex/) in order to redefine just the subset of D for which [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] are non-negative, let's call it [tex]D_1[/tex].

[tex]D_1 = \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, 0 \leq x_2 \leq 1-x_1, 0 \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1 - x_2}\}[/tex]

Since it is also true that [tex]0 \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1}[/tex] and [tex]0 \leq x_2 \leq 5 -x_1 - x_3^2[/tex], that website recommends defining

[tex]D_1 = \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, 0 \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1}, 0 \leq x_2 \leq 5 -x_1 - x_3^2\}[/tex]

but I don't think that's right. If that were correct, (0.5,4.5,0) would be a point in [tex]D_1[/tex], which it isn't since if [tex]x_1=1[/tex], then it must be the case that [tex]0 \leq x_2 \leq 0.5[/tex]. So basically, I'm stumped. :(
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried rotating the coordinate system in the [tex]x_1 x_2[/tex]-plane by 45 degrees?
 
ystael said:
Have you tried rotating the coordinate system in the [tex]x_1 x_2[/tex]-plane by 45 degrees?

I thought about doing that. But wouldn't the integral no longer be "an integral of a function f(x) over the region D," as the problem explicitly states, but rather "an integral of a function [tex]f(\Phi(x))[/tex] over the region [tex]\phi(D)[/tex]" where [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex] is the linear transformation that rotates the coordinate system in the [tex]x_1 x_2[/tex] plane?

EDIT: Yeah, I asked my professor (who wrote the problem), and he says the integral must be written in terms of the coordinates [tex]x_1, x_2, x_3[/tex].
 
Last edited:
Well, I think I've progressed a bit towards finding an answer. I think I know how to redefine [tex]D_1[/tex]. This

[tex]D_1 = \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, 0 \leq x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1}, 0 \leq x_2 \leq 5 -x_1 - x_3^2\}[/tex]

is wrong because the upper limit of [tex]x_2[/tex] should be the minimum of [tex]1 - x_1[/tex] and [tex]5 - x_1 - x_3^2[/tex] not simply [tex]5 - x_1 - x_3^2[/tex]. Then, since [tex]1 - x_1 \leq 5 - x_1 - x_3^2[/tex] if and only if [tex]x_3 \leq 2[/tex], we have

[tex]D_1 = \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, 2 < x_3 \leq \sqrt{5 - x_1}, 0 \leq x_2 \leq 5 -x_1 - x_3^2\} \cup \{x \in R^3 \mid 0 \leq x_1 \leq 1, 0 \leq x_3 \leq 2, 0 \leq x_2 \leq 1-x_1\}[/tex]

Is my reasoning correct? Should I continue doing this - splitting up D into smaller regions and redefining them so the limits of [tex]x_3[/tex] depend only on [tex]x_1[/tex]?
 
Last edited: