How to Find Velocity of 10 MeV Alpha Particle for Scattering Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of cross-section for the scattering of a 10 MeV alpha particle by a gold nucleus at different angles. The relevant equation and the value of v_0 are needed to solve the problem, and it is clarified that v_0 is the initial velocity of the alpha particle. The correct relativistic relationship between energy and momentum is provided to help find the value of v_0, and it is noted that the classic approximation should work well in this case. It is also mentioned that the 10 MeV energy only includes the kinetic energy of the alpha particle, not its rest mass.
SUDOnym
Hello
I actually wanted to posted this in the "Homework" section but it is currently working for me..

The problem is:

Calculate the cross-section for the scattering of a 10 MeV alpha particle by a gold nucleus [tex]_{79}^{197}Au[/tex] through an angle greater than (a) 10 degrees (b) 20 degrees c 30 degrees.

My answer:

I know the relevant equation is:

[tex]\sigma=\pi(\frac{Zze^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}mv_{0}^{2}}\cot\frac{\theta}{2})^{2}[/tex]

so its really just a plug and chug kind of problem... only thing I can't figure out is how to get the value for v_0... i know that is hidden somewhere in the fact that it is a 10 Mev particle and I assume E=mc^2 plays a roll too... but trying the following does not provide me with a useful value of v_o:

[tex]E=mc^{2}+\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}[/tex]

neither does:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^{2}[/tex]

so my question is, how do I find the value of v_0 given that I know its an alpha particlee (so I know its mass) and also that I know its 10Mev particle?

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "v_0" ?

v_0 is the initial velocity that the alpha particle has before any interaction with the gold nucleus..

The correct relativistic relationship between energy and momentum is
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4

Here m is the invariant mass (in the rest frame) and p =mv.
From this you can find p and then v.

Thanks! to clarify though, the energy E, that I want to use will be the 10MeV...?

I think the 10 MeV should be just the kinetic energy. The rest energy of a proton is about 900 MeV so the 10 MeV cannot include the rest mass of the alpha particle.
The kinetic energy is
E^2 - m^2 c^4 = p^2 c^2

Actually at this energy the classic approximation should work quite well as KE<<E.

thanks, nasu. E=1/2mv^2 was my initial try but I kept making arithmetic mistakes which is why I came on here... took me at least two hours to get the correct answer for the cross-section!

SUDOnym said:
it is a 10 Mev particle and I assume E=mc^2 plays a roll too...
Nope! Rest mass of [itex]\alpha[/itex]-particle is 3.7GeV, so if you are speaking about 10MeV [itex]\alpha[/itex], it is its pure kinetic energy, and you have pretty non-relativistic case.

1. What is the scattering of MeV particles?

The scattering of MeV (mega-electron volt) particles is a phenomenon in which high-energy particles are deflected or scattered by interactions with other particles or fields. This can occur in a variety of situations, including in particle accelerators, nuclear reactions, and cosmic rays.

2. What types of particles can undergo scattering in the MeV range?

Particles with energies in the MeV range include electrons, protons, neutrons, and photons. These particles can interact with each other through various forces, such as the electromagnetic force and the strong nuclear force, resulting in scattering.

3. How is scattering of MeV particles studied?

Scientists study the scattering of MeV particles through experiments using instruments such as particle accelerators and detectors. They can also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand and predict the behavior of particles during scattering events.

4. What is the importance of studying scattering of MeV particles?

Studying the scattering of MeV particles is crucial for understanding the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and materials science.

5. Can the scattering of MeV particles be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, scientists can manipulate the scattering of MeV particles by adjusting the energy and trajectory of the particles, as well as the properties of the target materials. This allows for precise control and manipulation of particles, which is essential for many applications in science and technology.