How to get a linear solenoid actuator to cycle?

In summary: A simple solenoid with a plain iron core is essentially a pull in one direction device. To make it cycle you need something else to power the return stroke. This could be simple gravity (if solenoid is vertical axis) or a spring.Easiest way to make a single solenoid with gravity/spring return cycle is to have two trip switches - one at each end of stroke. This is a very reliable arrangement but there is no easy way of controlling the cycle time and they tend to run rather fast with small components.There are though some ways of slowing the cycle down and getting a smoother action. Most easily implemented is the dashpot damper. Basically just a piston in a cylinder with a small
udtsith
Hi,

I am working on a project with my daughter who is 10. We are trying to get a linear solenoid actuator (push) to continuously repeat (push/return...push/return). But all it does is push and stop. How do I get the wiring set up to enable the solenoid to automatically cycle? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple solenoid with a plain iron core is essentially a pull in one direction device . To make it cycle you need something else to power the return stroke . This could be simple gravity (if solenoid is vertical axis) or a spring .

Easiest way to make a single solenoid with gravity/spring return cycle is to have two trip switches - one at each end of stroke . This is a very reliable arrangement but there is no easy way of controlling the cycle time and they tend to run rather fast with small components .

There are though some ways of slowing the cycle down and getting a smoother action . Most easily implemented is the dashpot damper . Basically just a piston in a cylinder with a small air leak around the piston .

A simple electronic circuit which gives timed on/off periods could be used to give exactly the cycle time that you want .

Better in some cases to have two solenoids - one for push and one for pull .

Just another bit of nostalgia for older forum members - I once did something similar myself using a hand wound solenoid , a daspot damper made from a Smartie tube and trip switches made from bean can metal and screws - and it worked .

If this is for a school science type project don't be afraid to improvise !

Nidum said:
A simple solenoid with a plain iron core is essentially a pull in one direction device . To make it cycle you need something else to power the return stroke . This could be simple gravity (if solenoid is vertical axis) or a spring .

Easiest way to make a single solenoid with gravity/spring return cycle is to have two trip switches - one at each end of stroke . This is a very reliable arrangement but there is no easy way of controlling the cycle time and they tend to run rather fast with small components .

There are though some ways of slowing the cycle down and getting a smoother action . Most easily implemented is the dashpot damper . Basically just a piston in a cylinder with a small air leak around the piston .

A simple electronic circuit which gives timed on/off periods could be used to give exactly the cycle time that you want .

Better in some cases to have two solenoids - one for push and one for pull .

Just another bit of nostalgia for older forum members - I once did something similar myself using a hand wound solenoid , a daspot damper made from a Smartie tube and trip switches made from bean can metal and screws - and it worked .

If this is for a school science type project don't be afraid to improvise !
Thank you!

1. How does a linear solenoid actuator work?

A linear solenoid actuator works by converting electrical energy into mechanical motion. It consists of a coil of wire and a movable plunger or rod. When an electrical current is applied to the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts the plunger, causing it to move in a linear direction.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a linear solenoid actuator?

When choosing a linear solenoid actuator, it is important to consider factors such as the required force and stroke length, voltage and power requirements, duty cycle, and environmental conditions. It is also important to ensure compatibility with the rest of the system and to select a reliable and reputable brand.

3. How can I control the cycling of a linear solenoid actuator?

The cycling of a linear solenoid actuator can be controlled by using a suitable power supply and a controller or driver. The controller allows for precise control of the actuator's movement, such as the speed and direction, and can also be programmed for specific cycles or patterns.

4. What are some common applications of linear solenoid actuators?

Linear solenoid actuators are commonly used in a variety of industries and applications, such as in automotive systems, industrial machinery, medical equipment, and home appliances. They are often used for tasks that require linear movement, such as opening and closing valves, latching and locking mechanisms, and pushing and pulling objects.

5. How can I ensure the longevity and reliability of a linear solenoid actuator?

To ensure the longevity and reliability of a linear solenoid actuator, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for installation, operation, and maintenance. This includes avoiding overloading the actuator, providing proper cooling and protection from harsh environments, and regularly checking and replacing worn or damaged components.