1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get a linear solenoid actuator to cycle?

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am working on a project with my daughter who is 10. We are trying to get a linear solenoid actuator (push) to continuously repeat (push/return...push/return). But all it does is push and stop. How do I get the wiring set up to enable the solenoid to automatically cycle? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A simple solenoid with a plain iron core is essentially a pull in one direction device . To make it cycle you need something else to power the return stroke . This could be simple gravity (if solenoid is vertical axis) or a spring .

Easiest way to make a single solenoid with gravity/spring return cycle is to have two trip switches - one at each end of stroke . This is a very reliable arrangement but there is no easy way of controlling the cycle time and they tend to run rather fast with small components .

There are though some ways of slowing the cycle down and getting a smoother action . Most easily implemented is the dashpot damper . Basically just a piston in a cylinder with a small air leak around the piston .

A simple electronic circuit which gives timed on/off periods could be used to give exactly the cycle time that you want .

Better in some cases to have two solenoids - one for push and one for pull .

Just another bit of nostalgia for older forum members - I once did something similar myself using a hand wound solenoid , a daspot damper made from a Smartie tube and trip switches made from bean can metal and screws - and it worked .

If this is for a school science type project don't be afraid to improvise !

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook