How are the connectors on the DC linear actuator utilized in wiring?

In summary: Installing_a_Pingel_Electric_Speed_Shifter.pdfI did find this pdf for installing pingel's kit, I'm not sure if it is any more help you you...
Ramok
A am working on a project that uses this 12V DC linear actuator. The actuator utilizes a magnetic coil and plunger inner design (I believe this is just a solenoid). This actuator will need to use both directions of movement for the project. In terms of wiring, what do the two female connectors do as well as the male connector?

20230126_111459[1].jpg
20230126_111452[1].jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a multimeter and measure between the male socket pin and the housing. It seems very likely that the pin is a (safety) ground connector. The two female sockets are probably the drive inputs - my guess is +12V applied one way drives the actuator out and +12V applied the other way drives the actuator in. But - those are just my guesses!

Can you see a part number on it?

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
Welcome to PF.

Ramok said:
This actuator will need to use both directions of movement
A solenoid like that is generally only attractive, not repulsive. The higher B-field concentration inside the coil pulls the metal shaft into its interior. In order to get a push-pull action, you would need to use a return spring for the push action, or use another coil that would pull the main metal part of the plunger back into it. Are you sure that solenoid you show is supposed to be capable of the "push" motion? Can you link to its datasheet or provide a manufacturer part number?

Likes dlgoff and hutchphd
Like this

Attachments

• 412-00.jpg
    412-00.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 51
DaveE said:
Can you see a part number on it?
I cannot see a part number

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.A solenoid like that is generally only attractive, not repulsive. The higher B-field concentration inside the coil pulls the metal shaft into its interior. In order to get a push-pull action, you would need to use a return spring for the push action, or use another coil that would pull the main metal part of the plunger back into it. Are you sure that solenoid you show is supposed to be capable of the "push" motion? Can you link to its datasheet or provide a manufacturer part number?
This solenoid is meant to shift a motorcycle transition up and down, so I believe it should have both directions.

When it's disconnected, can you easily slide it into any position, or is there some spring tension holding it at one extreme?

If you really have no data then you should measure the forward and backward resistance between the three terminals. Make a table and report back...

Likes berkeman and DaveE
Ramok said:
This solenoid is meant to shift a motorcycle transition up and down, so I believe it should have both directions.
Please provide links to the supplier and the product.

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
DaveE said:
When it's disconnected, can you easily slide it into any position, or is there some spring tension holding it at one extreme?
With no power it slides freely without tension.

berkeman said:
Hmm, yeah, that's very little help. Do you have one? Is there a marking on it for the model number or manufacturer?
I have one and looked all over it. No markings or except for the Pingel logo. I know its not helpful, which is mostly why I posted here maybe someone had more knowledge about this style of solenoid than I do.

Ramok said:
I have one and looked all over it. No markings or except for the Pingel logo. I know its not helpful, which is mostly why I posted here maybe someone had more knowledge about this style of solenoid than I do.
Do you have a 12V bench power supply? If so, maybe try driving 12V through the two female connectors both ways to see if that fires the solenoid in the push and pull directions. If it doesn't we'll need to figure something else out. BTW, what is the resistance you measure in each of the two directions between the two female input connectors?

At the moment I don't have access to that power supply or even a multimeter. I will hopefully be able to go test the suggestions you have given me later tonight or tomorrow.

I did find this pdf for installing pingel's kit, I'm not sure if it is any more help you you tho.
https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C%3A/Users/Rayce/Downloads/Universal%204-Coil%2077401%20&%2077402%20rev06102014%20(1).pdf

Attachments

• Universal 4-Coil 77401 & 77402 rev06102014 (1).pdf
    686.6 KB · Views: 73
The Pingel linear actuator may have two internal solenoids, but with one armature. One solenoid coil would be used to kick up, the other to kick down. Three wires are sufficient to control the two solenoid coils. Maybe there is a centre return spring.

A linear actuator, employing a ball screw, would normally have an external motor. It would also need to return to the mid-position after operation.

• Informative
Likes Ramok, Tom.G and berkeman
There is a phone number for Pingel on the PDF. Have you tried them?
This solenoid must have multiple coils internally but there are a number of ways one could do this.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It typically consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core, and when an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that causes the core to move.

2. How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels the metal core, causing it to move. This movement can be used to open or close a valve, switch on or off a circuit, or perform other mechanical actions.

3. What are the applications of electric solenoids?

Electric solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in automotive systems, industrial machinery, medical equipment, and household appliances. They are commonly used in valves, locks, switches, and other devices that require precise and reliable control of linear motion.

4. How are electric solenoids wired?

Electric solenoids can be wired in a variety of ways, depending on the specific application. In general, they require an electrical power source, such as a battery or power supply, and a control circuit to regulate the flow of current to the solenoid. The solenoid is typically connected to the control circuit using wires or cables, and may also require additional components such as diodes or resistors.

5. What are the benefits of using electric solenoids?

There are several benefits to using electric solenoids, including their compact size, high efficiency, and fast response time. They also offer precise control over linear motion and can be easily integrated into electronic systems. Additionally, electric solenoids are durable and reliable, making them suitable for a wide range of industrial and commercial applications.