How to get benefits of LVM in linux?

• Thread starter Brief-Wishbone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary: I want to try it!In summary, LVM is a disk management system that is recommended for servers over partitioning. It has the advantage of being able to grow without downtime, which is useful for servers.
Brief-Wishbone
TL;DR Summary
Logical Volume Management in Linux.
https://www.linuxtechi.com/how-to-create-lvm-partition-in-linux/
So far, I followed this tutorial and did the steps told there. But it doesn't make me realize the importance of LVMs. What can I do to realize the importance of LVMs compared to partitioning? What's that that partitioning can't do but LVMs can do? I want to observe that. Can you guide me towards any tutorials of such?

Technology news on Phys.org
If you don't know what LVM does, you almost certainly don't want it.

Likes Vanadium 50
pbuk said:
If you don't know what LVM does, you almost certainly don't want it.
You might get it without realizing it since many Linux distros default to LVM in their installers. I actually don't think there's much difference for most users; LVM has been around a long time and that code in the Linux kernel is pretty mature. So my response would be "if you don't know what LVM does, you almost certainly don't need to even think about it".

Brief-Wishbone said:
What can I do to realize the importance of LVMs compared to partitioning?
The main advantage for Linux distro maintainers is given at the start of the article:

LVM stands for Logical Volume Management, it is the recommended way to manage disk or storage on Linux systems specially for servers. One of the main advantages of LVM partition is that we can extend its size online without any downtime.

In other words, Linux servers benefit from LVM because of automatic resizing without downtime; resizing happens often enough on servers that that's a significant benefit. Ordinary individual Linux users don't really benefit from LVM per se, because your desktop system's disk volumes will probably never need to be resized (they'll already take up your entire disk and when you get low on disk space you'll be buying a new system anyway); but since Linux distros keep everything as standardized as possible, once LVM becomes the default for servers, it automatically becomes the default for desktops as well. Since there's no real downside to that for desktop users, that is what has ended up happening.

Likes Wrichik Basu
PeterDonis said:
"if you don't know what LVM does, you almost certainly don't need to even think about it".
A corollary to this would be "if you don't know what LVM does, you almost certainly don't want to try doing it by hand; let your distro's installer take care of it". The only reason for a desktop user to do it by hand would be learning and curiosity.

Likes Wrichik Basu
PeterDonis said:
The only reason for a desktop user to do it by hand would be learning and curiosity.
Excitement!

1. What is LVM in Linux?

LVM stands for Logical Volume Manager and is a software tool used to manage hard disk storage in Linux operating systems. It allows for easier partitioning, resizing, and management of storage volumes.

2. What are the benefits of using LVM in Linux?

There are several benefits of using LVM in Linux, including the ability to easily resize and manage storage volumes without needing to repartition the hard drive. LVM also provides data redundancy and the ability to take snapshots for backups.

3. How do I set up LVM in Linux?

To set up LVM in Linux, you will need to install the necessary packages and then configure the logical volumes using the command-line tool lvcreate. It is recommended to have a separate LVM volume for each mount point (e.g. /home, /var).

4. Can I use LVM with any type of storage device?

Yes, LVM can be used with a variety of storage devices such as hard drives, solid-state drives, and network storage devices. It can also be used with both physical and virtual machines.

5. Is it possible to convert a traditional partition to an LVM volume?

Yes, it is possible to convert a traditional partition to an LVM volume. However, this process can be complex and may result in data loss, so it is recommended to back up important data before attempting the conversion.