1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get capacitance from potential FEM

1. Jul 8, 2014 #1
    Hi guys,
    I hope this is the correct section otherwise I apologize :).The goal is to find the capacity of a non linear capacitance composed by an upper plate which has a cup shape and the lower plate which is flat.
    The problem is the following: by means of a FEM simulation of the Poisson equation I was able to find the potential but once I got it how can I get the capacitance?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

C = Q/V

You still need the charge.
    If it is not immediately available, you need to calculate it:
    - the field at the surface gives the charge density
    - summing over the whole surface will provide Q

4. Jul 8, 2014 #3
    Excuse my silly question I don't remember why the electric filed at the surface gives the surface charge density..thank u very much

5. Jul 8, 2014 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

Not exactly the electric field but the divergence of electric field. Thats the differential form of gauss law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss_law#Differential_form

Since you have the potential, it is the laplacian of the potential that gives the charge density.

PS i dont remember how to calculate the laplacian for numerical data.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  6. Jul 8, 2014 #5
    I think some function in matlab will be helpful... But the integration of the chrage density should be performed on the volume and not on the surface!Am i wrong?

7. Jul 8, 2014 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

8. Jul 8, 2014 #7
    I am not sure I am in this situation the plates of the capacitor are made of a polymer and inside the two plates we have water. Above the polymer there is a layer of conductive material on which we apply the potential...Besides how the charge will behave when i apply a potential difference among the plates? The water should polarize am I wrong? Sry if I forgot this fundamental detail before...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook