Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance and Electric Field

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    I've gotten myself in a bit of a muddle here, I'm hoping you lovelies can help me out!

So, the capacitance relates to the amount of charge a capacitor can store. Higher capacitance, greater charge. Greater stored charge, greater stored energy (right? or not?).

So a higher capacitance means you can store more energy in that capacitor. In order to increase the capacitance, we can insert a dielectric between the plates. This lowers the electric field between the plates and increases the capacitance.

If this is so, then a lower electric field results in a greater capacity to store energy??? I must have gone wrong somewhere - I thought the whole point is that we're using an electric field to store potential energy. So surely a lower field means less stored energy? Argh!

Can someone clarify my muddled thinking a bit? I've been looking at articles and equations for hours now and I just seem to be making myself even more confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    It makes a difference whether the capacitor is connected to a battery, so the potential difference across it is constant, so the electric field will also be constant, or whether it is unconnected, so the electric charge is constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook