How to get final velocity in relativistic mechanics

In summary, the best way to solve this problem is to use numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta or Euler's method, or an iterative approach, to calculate the velocity and acceleration of the particle at discrete time steps.
Agustin.R
Hello guys, I am not sure whether this is actually a simple problem but I'm not really a physics student, just someone very passionate for it.

So I'm trying to use Newton's second law in its relativistic version (force is equal to the rate of change in momentum) to find the velocity and acceleration of a particle after a discrete period of time t. My difficulty arises because the velocities are present in the gammas, so I tried solving by substitution but it ended being really messy.

So my problem is to get the final velocity (or the acceleration, of course) of a particle given the force acting on it, its initial velocity, position and acceleration, and its mass, using discrete quantities and in three dimensions. Should I be using four-vectors?
Relevant formulae:
F = dp/dt (should actually be deltas as I'm looking at the discrete case)
p = m*v*gamma
gamma = 1 / sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

I would appreciate any help you can give me, even if it is just pointing in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem is to use a numerical approach. In other words, you can break down the problem into smaller parts, and use numerical methods such as Runge-Kutta or Euler's method to solve for the velocity and acceleration of the particle at discrete time steps. You could also use an iterative approach, where you start with an initial velocity and then use the formula F = dp/dt to calculate the force, which you can then use to calculate the acceleration. Then you can use the acceleration to calculate the new velocity after a small time step. You can repeat this process until you reach the desired time step. This approach will allow you to solve for the velocity and acceleration without having to solve complex equations.

1. What is the formula for calculating final velocity in relativistic mechanics?

The formula for calculating final velocity in relativistic mechanics is v = c * tanh(c * t), where v is the final velocity, c is the speed of light, and t is the time passed in the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does the final velocity in relativistic mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

The final velocity in relativistic mechanics is calculated using the special theory of relativity, which takes into account the effects of high speeds and time dilation. In classical mechanics, final velocity is calculated using Newton's laws of motion.

3. Can the final velocity in relativistic mechanics exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the special theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the final velocity in relativistic mechanics cannot exceed the speed of light.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the final velocity in relativistic mechanics?

The mass of an object affects the final velocity in relativistic mechanics through the equation E = mc^2, where E is the object's energy, m is the object's mass, and c is the speed of light. As an object's mass increases, its energy and final velocity also increase.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating final velocity in relativistic mechanics?

Yes, the special theory of relativity and the calculation of final velocity have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and GPS technology. It helps us understand and make predictions about the behavior of objects at high speeds and in extreme environments.