T C
- 418
- 11
I want to know about how to get more lift from aircraft wings without increasing engine power and wingspan.
I have said "without increasing wingspan" and you haven't noticed that part.berkeman said:Welcome to the PF.
How about this?
http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow03/duxsept/triplane.jpg
View attachment 220387
I think using Coanda effect can help but don't know about any real example of using that.Greg Bernhardt said:What are your ideas so far?
Of course I did. That's why I went "up" instead of "out"...T C said:I have said "without increasing wingspan" and you haven't noticed that part.
How much reading have you been doing at the NASA pages on wing geometry and design for different flight profiles?T C said:I think using Coanda effect can help but don't know about any real example of using that.
Increase the angle of attack.T C said:I want to know about how to get more lift from aircraft wings without increasing engine power and wingspan.
berkeman said:How about this?
T C said:I think using Coanda effect can help but don't know about any real example of using that.
anorlunda said:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfoil#Thin_airfoil_theory
That is a good place to start. The references at the bottom of the article point to more advanced sources. The wiki article features "thin" as a strategy for better airfoils. I'm sure there are dozens of other ways too.
russ_watters said:Increase the angle of attack.
How can you say that jets are necessary for Coanda effect?boneh3ad said:I am not sure how you intend to utilized the Coandă effect without a jet of some sort. It doesn't apply to a typical flow over an airfoil.
T C said:How can you say that jets are necessary for Coanda effect?
If you have a propeller for your plane's propulsion, what is the source of all of that pressurized air for the wings? Some heavy air compressor added to the aircraft?T C said:This wikipedia explanation is enough for me.
Pressurised air is used in static application i.e. to get a flow of air. Do you want to mean that if the air flow is created by a blower, then Coanda effect wouldn't occur there?berkeman said:If you have a propeller for your plane's propulsion, what is the source of all of that pressurized air for the wings? Some heavy air compressor added to the aircraft?
Sorry, I've tried a few times, but I'm not able to parse what you wrote there.T C said:Pressurised air is used in static application i.e. to get a flow of air. Do you want to mean that if the air flow is created by a blower, then Coanda effect wouldn't occur there?
T C said:This wikipedia explanation is enough for me.
berkeman said:Nah, you just fly slower...![]()
TC, When you say wing span are you only referring to the width of the wing from root to outer wing tip, or you referring to all wing geometry?T C said:I want to know about how to get more lift from aircraft wings without increasing engine power and wingspan.