How to get messages for new posts in a category

• Thread starter Sunfire
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of receiving email notifications for new threads based on keywords, as a way to stay informed and reply within one's area of interest. The suggestion is to use the RSS feed for a specific category and set up email alerts or manually check the feed.
Sunfire
Hello,

Tried searching for the answer to no avail...

Is it possible to have PF email me when a new thread is posted, based on the keywords of the new thread? In this way I will be sure to reply to posts within my area of interest.

Is this possible?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunfire said:
Hello,

Tried searching for the answer to no avail...

Is it possible to have PF email me when a new thread is posted, based on the keywords of the new thread? In this way I will be sure to reply to posts within my area of interest.

Is this possible?
Thanks

I'm afraid not, it's a good idea though!

The best right now is to grab the RSS for a category which is in "thread tools" at the forum level and I bet there is a service that will check the feed and email you when an item pops up with a keyword you are interested in. Or just scan the RSS every day :D

1. How do I receive messages for new posts in a specific category?

In order to receive messages for new posts in a specific category, you will need to subscribe to that category. This can typically be done by clicking on the "subscribe" or "follow" button on the category page or individual post.

2. Can I choose which categories I receive messages for?

Yes, most platforms allow you to select which categories you want to receive messages for. This can usually be done in your account settings or notification preferences.

3. Will I receive messages for every new post in the category, or only certain ones?

It depends on the platform and your notification settings. Some platforms may send you a notification for every new post in a category, while others may only send notifications for popular or trending posts in that category. You can usually adjust these settings to your preference.

4. Can I receive messages for new posts on my mobile device?

Yes, most platforms have mobile apps or mobile-friendly websites that allow you to receive notifications for new posts in a category directly on your mobile device.

5. Is there a limit to how many categories I can receive messages for?

This may vary depending on the platform, but in general, there is no limit to the number of categories you can receive messages for. However, keep in mind that receiving messages for a large number of categories may result in a high volume of notifications.