Graphing Orthogonal Trajectories: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses how to graph the curves of two orthogonal trajectories without knowing any values. The first set of curves are circles with different centers and radii, while the second set consists of a standard cubic and an ellipse with different vertices.
KataKoniK
Hi,

I was wondering how would I graph a sketch of these curves without knowing any values of them? They are orthogonal trajectories btw

i) x^2 + y^2 = ax
x^2 + y^2 = by

ii) y = ax^3
x^2 + 3y^2 = b

Thanks in advnace.

Physics news on Phys.org
x2+ y2= ax is the same as

x2- ax+ y2= 0. Now complete the square in the x variable:

x2- ax+ a2/4+ y2= a2/4
(x- a/2)2+ y2= a2/2.

That's a circle with center at (a/2, 0) and radius a/2 (so it goes through (0,0)).

x2 + y2 = by

Same thing: a circle with center at (0, b/2) and radius b/2 (and goes through (0,0)).

y = ax3
Well, that's just a pretty standard cubic. Goes through(-2,-8a), (-1, -a), (0,0), (1, a), (2, 8a), etc.

x2 + 3y2 = b
Same as x2/b + y2/(b/3)= 1,
an ellipse with center at (0,0) vertices (√(b), 0), (-&radic(b),0), (0, √(b/3)), (0,-√(b/3)).

Thanks a lot man. Really appreciate it.

1. How do I determine the axis labels for my graph?

The axis labels on a graph should correspond to the variables being plotted. The horizontal axis should represent the independent variable and the vertical axis should represent the dependent variable. For example, if you are graphing the relationship between temperature and time, the horizontal axis should be labeled "Time (min)" and the vertical axis should be labeled "Temperature (°C)".

2. What is the best way to choose a scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph should be chosen based on the range of values for each variable. The scale should allow for all data points to be plotted and evenly spaced on the graph. It is also important to choose a scale that is easy to read and interpret. For example, if your data ranges from 0-100, a scale of 10 (0, 10, 20, 30, etc.) would be appropriate.

3. How do I plot multiple curves on the same graph?

To plot multiple curves on the same graph, you can use different colors or symbols to differentiate between each curve. You should also include a legend to identify each curve. Additionally, if the curves have different units or scales, you may need to use a secondary axis for one of the curves.

4. What type of graph should I use for my data?

The type of graph you should use depends on the type of data you are plotting and the relationship between the variables. For example, if you are comparing different categories, a bar graph would be appropriate. If you are showing the trend of a continuous variable, a line graph would be more suitable. It is important to choose a graph that accurately represents your data and makes it easy for the reader to interpret.

5. How can I make my graph more visually appealing?

To make your graph more visually appealing, you can use different colors and fonts to make it more visually appealing. You can also add titles, labels, and legends to make the graph easier to understand. Additionally, you can choose a layout that is clear and easy to read, and avoid cluttering the graph with too much information or unnecessary elements.