How to heat nichrome wire with home batteries at 37C (99F) degrees

In summary, the student is looking for a way to heat their boots using a wire with a battery. They need to know the specs for the wire, what battery to use, and the wattage needed for the heating.
provma79
Hello,

I would like to be able to heat a nichrome wire with batteries (probably with a D batterie, but if it can be done with AA batteries, it's better, cause it's cheaper).

I would like to be able to heat a nichrome wire of about 2 feat long at a temperature similar to the body temperature (99F or 37C) for at least 2 hours. For the nichrome wire, thinner is better (more flexible).

Eventually I will try to put this in my winter boots and see if it can keep my feet warm. I know heating socks already exist, but I want to try to build my own.

So:
- what specs should my nichrome wire have
- what would be the best batterie for this, and how many do I need
- what should I change to keep the same wire temperature, if I change the length of the my wire to 1 foot or 3 feet.

Hope I being clear.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
provma79 said:
Hello,

I would like to be able to heat a nichrome wire with batteries (probably with a D batterie, but if it can be done with AA batteries, it's better, cause it's cheaper).

I would like to be able to heat a nichrome wire of about 2 feat long at a temperature similar to the body temperature (99F or 37C) for at least 2 hours. For the nichrome wire, thinner is better (more flexible).

Eventually I will try to put this in my winter boots and see if it can keep my feet warm. I know heating socks already exist, but I want to try to build my own...

Hello provma 79,

This is potentially very dangerous, please do not try it, as you could get badly burned if things go wrong.

You would need to guess a bit with this.

Suppose R1 and R2 (the heaters for each boot) needed 6 watts each to produce reasonable warming.
Power = voltage * current
so current = 6 watts / 6 volts = 1 amp per boot.

Resistance = Voltage / current = 6 volts / 1 amp = 6 ohms.

Now, if you look at this table:
dcrtable.jpg

you can use about 3 ft of 25 AWG Nichrome or 2 ft of 27 AWG Nichrome per boot to get 6 ohms.

You need 2 amps for 2 hours so that is 4 amp-hours. That would mean you would need rechargeable NiMH D cells or maybe a 6 volt lead acid motor cycle battery.

I support the safety warning given by Adjuster and hope you would make sure it is safe before you put your feet into something like this. You would have to put the Nichrome wire in a suitable insulator so that it does not touch your feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
provma79, a student came to one of our IEEE club meetings on tuesday and asked the very same question. Look up thermistors, and you might want to also research pulse with modulation. I agree with everyone elses warning, you should be very careful if you build your circuit. A simple resistive circuit would be much easier to build but it would not be safer.

1. How can I heat nichrome wire with home batteries?

There are a few different ways to heat nichrome wire using home batteries. One option is to connect the wire to a battery and adjust the voltage to control the temperature. Another option is to use a transformer to step up the voltage and increase the heat output. Alternatively, you can use multiple batteries in series to achieve the desired temperature.

2. What type of batteries should I use to heat nichrome wire to 37C (99F) degrees?

The type of batteries you use will depend on the amount of heat you need to generate and the duration of use. Generally, higher voltage batteries like lithium-ion or nickel-metal hydride are more efficient at heating nichrome wire compared to alkaline batteries. It is important to consider the voltage and current ratings of the batteries to ensure they can safely provide the necessary power for heating.

3. Is it safe to heat nichrome wire with home batteries to 37C (99F) degrees?

Heating nichrome wire with home batteries can be safe as long as the proper precautions are taken. It is important to use the appropriate voltage and current, as well as make sure the wire is not overheating. Additionally, make sure to use insulation or protective covering around the wire to prevent accidental contact and possible electric shocks.

4. How can I control the temperature of the nichrome wire when using home batteries?

To control the temperature of the nichrome wire, you can adjust the voltage of the batteries or use a transformer to regulate the heat output. You can also use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed. It may also be helpful to have a timer or temperature controller to maintain a consistent temperature.

5. Can I use home batteries to heat nichrome wire for extended periods of time?

It is possible to use home batteries to heat nichrome wire for extended periods of time, but it is important to monitor the temperature and make sure the batteries are not being overworked. It is also recommended to have spare batteries on hand and to allow the batteries to cool down between uses to prevent overheating and potential damage. Additionally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for safe battery usage.