How to indicate programming experience on a CV

In summary: Your experience with programming will be looked at more favorably if you have some experience with larger systems and projects. Include information about any larger systems or projects that you have worked on.
tcbh
(I'm putting this here as opposed to the Career forum because it's for REU applications)

I have some experience in C++, MATLAB and R, but I'm not sure how to indicate on the CV how much experience. I'm not an expert in any of them, but I don't know that "beginner" is right either. Years would be misleading too, since I don't program much outside of class and I don't always have classes that require programming.

Would it be too much to include a brief description of how I've used each language?

Physics news on Phys.org
tcbh said:
(I'm putting this here as opposed to the Career forum because it's for REU applications)

I have some experience in C++, MATLAB and R, but I'm not sure how to indicate on the CV how much experience. I'm not an expert in any of them, but I don't know that "beginner" is right either. Years would be misleading too, since I don't program much outside of class and I don't always have classes that require programming.

Would it be too much to include a brief description of how I've used each language?

It's hard to say since I don't know exactly what you are applying for, but here is what I think you should include:

a) The languages themselves and the platform if necessary (for example for Java no need for platform or .NET)

b) a simple description of the project that you worked on.

Don't go into lengthy complex statements about the specifics of the project, just state what the project was about (keep it as simple as possible but no simpler).

This will add context to your CV because it gives the reader a real idea of what you might know which will give an idea of whether to interview you or not. If you get the interview, then chances are the employer thinks you are a good candidate and your technical ability (among other things) will be tested there.

Also one thing that will give an interviewer a good idea of your skills is the number of lines of code you've written, and the number of lines of code there were in the system that you using.

twofish-quant said:
Also one thing that will give an interviewer a good idea of your skills is the number of lines of code you've written, and the number of lines of code there were in the system that you using.

I agree somewhat (especially with the number of lines in the system), but not completely.

You can have projects that have really really large subroutines and as a result have a lot of complexity, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is more complex than say a more manageable subroutine that makes calls to a half a dozen to a dozen other systems or libraries that interact with one another.

If there are strange dependency issues between say libraries or other repositories, then this can cause really major headaches (as you are probably aware of in your job), and I would consider this a lot more challenging to do this right than do something where although the number of lines is huge, is still not as intensive as far as handling all these weird dependency issues that come about.

I recently had this same question, when preparing a CV for a physics graduate program. I didn't find a specific answer anywhere, but I ended up wording it something like this:

Programming Experience
Proficient with Java, Fortran
Some experience with C/C++, Perl, Mathematica, Matlab

and that's about it.

Of course, it depends on what REU you're applying for. If it's more about programming, you may want to include more details as mentioned in other replies.

My programming section looked very similar to bcbwilla and I got some quite decent software eng gigs with it. I also had a bit in my CV intro which described a few projects I worked on. It helps a lot if you mention exactly what you did with the language e.g. "wrote a java SOAP client for project X to integrate the CRM and web portal". Just "I am proficient with java" does not mean much at all unless your job is not programming focussed.

I have never been asked nor offered how many lines of code I have written nor did I ever ask others how many lines they wrote. I'm guessing some places may ask this however so be prepared for the question.

1. How should I list my programming experience on my CV?

When listing your programming experience on your CV, it is important to organize it in a clear and concise manner. You can either list it under a separate section titled "Programming Experience" or include it in your work experience section if it is relevant to your previous job roles. Make sure to include the programming languages and tools you are proficient in, as well as any notable projects you have worked on.

2. Should I include my programming skills even if they are not directly related to the job I am applying for?

Yes, it is always a good idea to include your programming skills on your CV, even if they are not directly related to the job you are applying for. This shows your versatility and adaptability as a candidate, and may also open up opportunities for different roles within the company.

3. How do I highlight my programming experience if I do not have a lot of work experience?

If you do not have a lot of work experience, you can still highlight your programming experience by including any relevant coursework or personal projects you have worked on. You can also mention any online courses or certifications you have completed that showcase your programming skills.

4. Is it necessary to mention the programming languages I am familiar with, even if they are basic?

Yes, it is important to mention all the programming languages you are familiar with, even if they are basic. This gives employers a better understanding of your skillset and potential for growth. You can also mention your level of proficiency for each language (e.g. basic, intermediate, advanced).

5. Can I include my programming experience if it is not related to my field of study or previous job roles?

Yes, you can include programming experience on your CV even if it is not directly related to your field of study or previous job roles. This shows your passion and dedication to the field of programming, and may also demonstrate your ability to learn new skills outside of your comfort zone.