How to induce current on a static conducting material?

1. Dear Physicists,

I am currently thinking of a way of inducing a current in a conducting material by a magnetic field. I am not good at magnetism and electricity at all, but I think it should look like the picture below. By the way, the material in the middle does not move.

Does anyone think that this setup will help induce a current in the material? if not how should I do it. By the way, is it possible to change the strength of the magnets at all? Please guide me in the correct direction as I am very lost here and don't know where to look. Suggestions are much appreciated on what field to look at. Thank you everyone.
  2. jcsd
  3. You need a change in magnetic flux to induce current . So you will have to move those magnets some how . What is your purpose for inducing current .
  4. It is not used to power up anything electrical at all. However, I think it is silly to say that I don't even know if I really need a current in the material at all. Anyway, so I need to move the magnets? like left to right and back again? Do I have to move both magnets or one magnet? However, are there any equations to calculate how much magnetic strength I need for a given distance? And last question, how to create a magnetic field with variable strength?

Thanks again.
  5. Watch the first 20 minutes of this video and he talks about electromagnetic induction and it might help you and it is a very good video.

Or you can move the conductor through the B field to induce current , Maybe you could have it rotating or something.
    And if you have it rotating and you know the angular frequency, And you know the field strength , then you can calculate the magnetic flux as a function of time .
    Using Flux=Acos(bt) where a is the cross-sectional area and b is the angular frequency
    and the time derivative of this will be voltage .
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?