How to integrate second order derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation d2x/dt2 = k' by rewriting it as vdv/dx = k' and finding x as a function of time. The participants suggest using techniques such as integrating vdv = k'dx and using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find x. They also discuss the importance of double checking work and considering different approaches to solving the problem.
Vibhor
I would like to know how do we solve d2x/dt2 = k' where k' is a constant i.e the task is to find x as a function of time ?

One way to approach this is to rewrite it as vdv/dx = k' where v=dx/dt and first find find v as a function of x and then rewrite v as dx/dt and then find x as a function of time .

I will present my attempt .

vdv/dx = k'
vdv= k'dx
∫vdv= ∫k'dx
v2 = 2k'x + 2C' where C' is a constant.

v=√(kx+C)
Now,v=dx/dt

dx/√(kx+C) =dt
∫dx/√(kx+C) =∫dt

x = (αt+β)2 ,where α and β are some constants.

Now ,I would like to know how do we solve the equation d2x/dt2 = k' by direct integration.

∫(d2x/dt2)dt = ∫k'dt

How to integrate the left hand side as it is a second order derivative ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
x =(1/k)ekt+λ - C
Rhetorical question: Is this result correct?

When you differentiate the above twice with respect to time you should get ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} = ke^{kt+\lambda}##. That obviously is not correct. Moral of the story: Always double check your work.

You can arrive at the correct expression using the fact that ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} = v\frac{dv}{dx}##. However, this is a much more difficult approach than it is to first integrate ##\frac{dv}{dt} = k## directly and then integrating that result with respect to time to arrive at an expression for x(t). Both of these integrals are very easy.

D H said:
Rhetorical question: Is this result correct?

No .

I apologize for the silly mistake .I have edited my post.

D H said:
When you differentiate the above twice with respect to time you should get ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} = ke^{kt+\lambda}##. That obviously is not correct. Moral of the story: Always double check your work.

OK .Thanks !

D H said:
You can arrive at the correct expression using the fact that ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} = v\frac{dv}{dx}##. However, this is a much more difficult approach than it is to first integrate ##\frac{dv}{dt} = k## directly and then integrating that result with respect to time to arrive at an expression for x(t). Both of these integrals are very easy.

You are right .But I would like to know do we always have to go by this two step process or is it possible to deal with ##\int \frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2}dt## directly .

I am very confused with the question, for me isn't it a simple answer as x=0.5k't^2 + at + b?

Likes bright001
Vibhor said:
∫(d2x/dt2)dt = ∫k'dt

How to integrate the left hand side as it is a second order derivative ?

I would like to answer a slightly different question. Suppose you had to integrate the first derivative of a function. How then would you proceed?

Your response would be something along the lines of, "Well of course FTC! The integral of a derivative would be up to some constant, the function itself".

To call something a second derivative is, in this circumstance, superficial since that second derivative can be written as the first derivative of some other function (namely, the first derivative of the original).

With this substitution, carry out your integration using FTC. Now you will have solved for not the original function but for its derivative. Integrate yet again. Remember to keep track of your constants.

1. What is a second order derivative?

A second order derivative is the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. It is the derivative of the first derivative of the function.

2. Why is it important to know how to integrate second order derivatives?

Integrating second order derivatives is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving acceleration, velocity, and position, and to analyze the behavior of systems over time.

3. What is the process for integrating a second order derivative?

The process for integrating a second order derivative involves first finding the first derivative of the function, and then integrating that derivative using basic integration techniques. This will give the original function, up to a constant of integration.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating second order derivatives?

Yes, there are some special cases when integrating second order derivatives. These include when the function is a polynomial, trigonometric, or exponential function. In these cases, specific integration rules can be applied to simplify the integration process.

5. Can you provide an example of how to integrate a second order derivative?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2. The first derivative of this function is f'(x) = 2x. We can then integrate this derivative to find the original function: f(x) = x^2 + C, where C is the constant of integration. So, integrating a second order derivative essentially involves reversing the process of taking a derivative.