• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to integrate this integral?

Homework Statement

Perform the following integration:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{x}{\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The solution (via wolframalpha.com) is:

[tex][\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}+\frac{h}{\sqrt{2}}ln(2(\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}+x)-\sqrt{2}h)[/tex]

Evaluated from 0 to sqrt(2)h

Here is the link: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x/[(h^2+x^2-(2^(1/2))*x*h)^(1/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I immediately looked at a substitution and an integration by parts. They left me worse off than before. Then, I went to wolframalpha in order to see how to do it. They could not show any steps. I am not sure how to integrate this by hand. Any advice?

If this is an integral that you simply look up in a table, could someone point me to the methods used (no matter how complex) that will solve this?

Thanks for reading.

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
First complete the square in the denominator:
[tex]x^2- \sqrt{2}hx+ h^2= x^2- 2\sqrt{2}hx+ \frac{h^2}{2}- \frac{h^2}{2}+ h^2[/tex]
[tex](x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)^2+ \frac{h^2}{2}[/tex]

Make the substitution
[tex]u= x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h[/tex]

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Perform the following integration:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{x}{\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The solution (via wolframalpha.com) is:

[tex][\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}+\frac{h}{\sqrt{2}}ln(2(\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}+x)-\sqrt{2}h)[/tex]

Evaluated from 0 to sqrt(2)h

Here is the link: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x/[(h^2+x^2-(2^(1/2))*x*h)^(1/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I immediately looked at a substitution and an integration by parts. They left me worse off than before. Then, I went to wolframalpha in order to see how to do it. They could not show any steps. I am not sure how to integrate this by hand. Any advice?

If this is an integral that you simply look up in a table, could someone point me to the methods used (no matter how complex) that will solve this?

Thanks for reading.
Try completing the square under the radical. Then do a substitution.

[tex]\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}}\ =\ \sqrt{x^2-2\frac{h}{\sqrt{2}}x+\frac{h^2}{2}-\frac{h^2}{2}+h^2}\,}[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{\left(x-\frac{h}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2+\frac{h^2}{2}\,}[/tex]

Thank you, HallsofIvy and SammyS.

Following HallsofIvy's suggestion for the value of u, I did the following:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{x}{\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}}dx\rightarrow{\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{(u^{2}+\frac{h^{2}}{2})}}du\rightarrow{\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{(u-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)(u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)}}du[/tex]

Then:

[tex]{\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{(u-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)(u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)}}du={\int\sqrt{\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{u-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}}du[/tex]

Here is where things began to get circular. I tried integration by parts two times in succession, this lead me back to the original integral (the last one listed above). It seems I either over-complicated the situation, or missed a key step.

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Thank you, HallsofIvy and SammyS.

Following HallsofIvy's suggestion for the value of u, I did the following:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{x}{\sqrt{h^2+x^2-\sqrt{2}hx}}dx\rightarrow{\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{(u^{2}+\frac{h^{2}}{2})}}du\rightarrow{\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{(u-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)(u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h)}}du[/tex]
[tex]u^{2}+\frac{h^{2}}{2}\neq\left(u-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h\right)\left(u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(a+b\right)\left(a-b\right)=a^2-b^2\neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

Break the integrand up:

[tex]\int\frac{u+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h}{\sqrt{u^{2}+\frac{h^{2}}{2}}}\ du=\int\frac{u}{\sqrt{u^{2}+\frac{h^{2}}{2}}}\ du\ +\ \left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}h\right)\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u^{2}+\left(\frac{h}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2}}\ du[/tex]

The first can be done by the substitution [tex]t= u^2+\frac{h^2}{2}\,,[/tex] or even better, [tex]t= \sqrt{u^2+\frac{h^2}{2}}\,.[/tex]

The second by the substitution [tex]u= \frac{h\,\tan(v)}{\sqrt{2}}\,.[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks SammyS! After a bit I was able to work out the answer as:

[tex]\sqrt{x^2-\sqrt{2}hx+h^2}+\frac{\sqrt{2}h}{2}[ln((\frac{\sqrt{2}h}{2})(\sqrt{x^2-\sqrt{2}hx+h^2}+x-\frac{\sqrt{2}h}{2}))][/tex]

Which after evaluating from 0 to sqrt(2)h gives me:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}h}{2}[ln(1+\sqrt{2})-ln(\sqrt(2)-1)][/tex]

Which is the same result as listed in the initial problem. Thanks again! It was good to sharpen my integration skills.