How to join honeycomb and skin in ansys apdl for sandwich structure

In summary, the individual components of the honeycomb sandwich beam have been modeled separately. However, when attempting to join them together, there is an error. The person asking for help may need to provide more information about the specific issue. Additionally, it seems that the person has found the best element types for the purpose, but there are errors with meshing. They are seeking advice on which element to choose for the skin of the honeycomb sandwich beam.
ROYAL MADAN
I modeled honeycomb core and face sheet seperately now i want to add or glue them to make a sandwich but it shows error so how can i join them.anyone please

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you need to give more information?

My first problem has been solved i draw face sheet above the core,but when i am using shell 281 for skin and shell 181 for honey comb core which i found best for the purpose the meshing is not achieved in case of shell 281 for skin many errors are coming like mid point nodes cannot be meshed.can anyone pls tell me which element i choose for skin of a honeycomb sandwich beam.its urgent.thanks in advance

1. How do I define the honeycomb and skin layers in ANSYS APDL for a sandwich structure?

The honeycomb and skin layers can be defined using the SOLID185 element in ANSYS APDL. This element allows for the creation of 3D solid elements with different material properties assigned to different layers. You can also use the REAL and ESYS commands to assign material properties to these layers.

2. Can I model the adhesive layer between the honeycomb and skin in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, you can model the adhesive layer using the SOLID185 element. You can define the material properties of the adhesive layer separately and use the ESYS command to connect it to the honeycomb and skin layers.

3. How can I ensure proper bonding between the honeycomb and skin layers in ANSYS APDL?

You can use the CONTA174 element in ANSYS APDL to model the contact between the honeycomb and skin layers. This element allows for the definition of contact interactions between different surfaces, ensuring proper bonding between the layers.

4. Is it possible to simulate the loading conditions on a honeycomb and skin sandwich structure in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, you can simulate various loading conditions on a sandwich structure in ANSYS APDL. You can use the SOLID185 element to define the material properties of the different layers and apply loads using the FORCE or PRESSURE commands.

5. How do I view the results of the analysis for a honeycomb and skin sandwich structure in ANSYS APDL?

The results of the analysis can be viewed using the POST1 command in ANSYS APDL. This command allows you to view the stress, strain, and displacement results of the sandwich structure. You can also use the commands PLESOL and PLNSOL to plot the results on the model.