How to Learn Math and Do Proofs

• Thread starter FSC729
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the speaker is a theoretical physicist and mathematician who has created a website with lessons on how to learn math. They also mention a future website on increasing IQ and invite others to visit their website and provide feedback. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about the legality of copying books for educational purposes. The speaker defends their suggestion by citing the fair use clause of the Copyright Act and ultimately decides to remove the suggestion to avoid any potential issues with their website.
FSC729
Hello everyone, I'm a budding theoretical physicist and mathematician, all throughout my education I've been taught about mathematical objects, relation between objects, Proofs, etc. Never have I been taught HOW to actually learn math.

I've put together a website with all the lessons on how to learn math your's truly has learned the hard way hopefully it can help someone learn the easy way.

How to Learn Math

Please visit my website and if you have any suggestions feel free to sign my guestbook. If you find the website useful please pass it on to someone else

Thank You

John G.

P.S. Be on the lookout I'm working a website with tips on how to increase your IQ. Web moderator please leave this posting up I've only posted it here and to college level help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very well, then, I will post the same response here that I did in "College Homework Help.

One of the 'tips' you give is: "If you are low on cash simply go to your college or public library find a good book, and copy the entire book. Kinko’s offers 8 cents per page and for a regular 200-page book it will only be around $16; you have to copy it yourself."

Right- and if they don't have the $16 would you suggest they just steal the book?
It is illegal to copy a book without the publisher's permission and I don't think they are going to give permission to copy an entire book just so you won't have to pay for it!

This looks like a good method and I'm sure anyone who applies it would get results... at the expense of any social life and sleep!

I'm starting school soon and I'll have 3 math classes. Although I have always had a certain ease with mathematics (at least compared to my fellow unmotivated student companinons) I plan on using your method (except the example memorizing madness). I'll tell you how it worked out for me.

Book Copying

For starters the Library paid for the book hence the author and publishers got paid as well. You can't accuse a person of stealing otherwise it would be stealing for me to borrow my friends math book for a semester, or borrow a library book for 2 weeks at a time.

Second Mr. Ivy you've got to read the fine print, I've taken the liberty of looking up Section 107 of the 1976 Copyright Act and here is what is says:

Sec. 107. - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1)

the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2)

the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3)

the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4)

the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors

1) As long as the student copies the book for his/her education and doesn't sell the copy(ies), he/she will conform to part 1.

2) Parts of math books are copied all the time hence you have precedence for part 2.

3) The student will probably not go over every single homework problem, hence a big chunk of the book is unused, hence it will probably conform to part 3 (its really subjective)

4) The number of students willing to spend 2 hrs out of their day to copy an entire book is small the market impact is minimal, so part 4 is taken care of.

Check it out for yourself

Section 107 Copyright Law

I am going to remove that part(even though technically its legal), because it might result in the removal of my webpage which will be a disservice to everyone I want to help.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to have two duplicate threads.

1. How can I improve my math skills?

There are several ways to improve your math skills, including practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using online resources or textbooks to supplement your learning. It is also important to have a positive attitude and not get discouraged when faced with challenging problems.

2. What is the best way to approach learning math proofs?

The best way to approach learning math proofs is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This includes understanding the definitions, concepts, and theorems involved in the specific type of proofs you are learning. It is also important to practice writing out proofs step-by-step and to seek feedback from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I make sure I understand a math proof?

To ensure understanding of a math proof, it is important to read and analyze each step carefully. You can also try to come up with your own proof for the same problem to solidify your understanding. Asking questions and seeking help from others can also help clarify any confusion.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when doing math proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when doing math proofs include: not fully understanding the problem or theorems involved, skipping steps or making assumptions without justification, and using incorrect notation or terminology. It is also important to double check your work for errors and to practice regularly to improve your skills.

5. How can I overcome my fear of learning math proofs?

Overcoming fear of learning math proofs can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. First, it is important to have a positive attitude and believe in your abilities. It can also be helpful to break down the proofs into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek support from a teacher or tutor when needed. Lastly, remember that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process and can actually help you improve in the long run.