How to learn Quantum Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of what prerequisite knowledge is required for learning Quantum Physics. The suggested minimum knowledge includes calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, classical mechanics, and electricity and magnetism. It is also recommended to have knowledge of theoretical linear algebra and Lagrangians and Hamiltonians from mechanics. The person asking the question has studied IGCSE Physics and Math, but it is unclear to what depth. The conversation ends with a disagreement on whether the person should type out the topics they know or if the others should look at the syllabus themselves.
Onimorf
Hello,
I am very interested in learning Quantum Physics however I want to know what the prerequisite knowledge is, what math and physics i require before taking up Quantum Physics.

I would really appreciate it if someone could make a list or something of that sort so I could know where to begin.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Onimorf said:
Hello,
I am very interested in learning Quantum Physics however I want to know what the prerequisite knowledge is, what math and physics i require before taking up Quantum Physics.

I would really appreciate it if someone could make a list or something of that sort so I could know where to begin.

Thanks

Maybe it would be useful to tell us what you already know so that we can tell you what you need to know more.

I think the bare minimum is a calculus course, some knowledge of differential equations, linear algebra, classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism.

I think it would be even better if you also had knowledge of theoretical linear algebra such as vector spaces, inner product spaces, dual spaces, ... and if you knew Lagrangians and Hamiltonians from mechanics.

I believe I know the basics in physics and maths, i have studied IGCSE Physics code:0625 and IGCSE maths code: 0580. (If you like you could just type the code and the syllabus will be the one of the links). Please advise what is best for me.

Thanks for responding so quickly, and i just want to have a strong foundation before i begin something as complicated as quantum physics.

Onimorf said:
I believe I know the basics in physics and maths, i have studied IGCSE Physics code:0625 and IGCSE maths code: 0580. (If you like you could just type the code and the syllabus will be the one of the links). Please advise what is best for me.

Thanks for responding so quickly, and i just want to have a strong foundation before i begin something as complicated as quantum physics.

(For reference, it looks like IGCSE Physics 0625 is some sort of physics for non-majors, or in best case a physics I-II-III smattering?)

For IGCSE math, the syllabus consists of "number (??), algebra and graphs, geometry, mensuration, coordinate geometry, trigonometry, matrices and transformations, probability and statistics".

Like Onimorf said, you're going to want some calculus. I'm not sure that classical mechanics and E&M beyond what is covered in your IGCSE Physics 0625 course is necessary for a start in QM, but definitely calculus and linear algebra (beyond what I assume is a couple of weeks in "matrices and transformations") is necessary.

Onimorf said:
I believe I know the basics in physics and maths, i have studied IGCSE Physics code:0625 and IGCSE maths code: 0580.

I'm sorry, but this means nothing to me. Please just type out the topics you know.

Micromass and Dishsoap, could you please check these links(copy paste 'em), i don't mean to be rude but if you read the syllabus yourself you will have a much better idea of what i know rather than me typing(you may mistake me for knowing something i do not) It will only take about 20 mins max:

http://www.cie.org.uk/images/167041-2016-2018-syllabus.pdf
http://www.cie.org.uk/images/203911-2017-2018-syllabus.pdf

If you really need me to type it out I will.

Also dishsoap i have learned matrices and transformations, if you read the syllabus you will know to what depth i know these topics(or if i type it out) and i think you are right by saying this is a non-major physics.

Onimorf said:
i don't mean to be rude but

...my time is so much more valuable than yours that I am not going to wade through 80 pages of documents to answer you when you can do it yourselves.

Onimorf said:
It will only take about 20 mins max:

Nope, I'm not going to put in 20 minutes. It's your question, so you need to make sure you include all relevant information. If you don't do so, then that's your problem, not mine.

I did look up the syllabus and posted a summary above:

(For reference, it looks like IGCSE Physics 0625 is some sort of physics for non-majors, or in best case a physics I-II-III smattering?)

For IGCSE math, the syllabus consists of "number (??), algebra and graphs, geometry, mensuration, coordinate geometry, trigonometry, matrices and transformations, probability and statistics".

Onimorf said:
Also dishsoap i have learned matrices and transformations

I know. This could mean anything from "you know how to multiply matrices" to "you have an in-depth knowledge of vector spaces and bases", and seeing as it's only one with ~10 other unrelated topics, I'm leaning more towards the former.

Vanadium 50 said:
...my time is so much more valuable than yours that I am not going to wade through 80 pages of documents to answer you when you can do it yourselves.

Please this is not what i implied, if i type it out as micromass requested i will just type topic names. I don't want micromass or dishsoap to think i know something i do not. I mean for example i have studied electromagnetism but if i just say that micromass will not know to what depth. On the syllabus links i sent it is given very well, to what depth i know the topic. Even if i type it out here its going to be a lot to read.

Im sorry it came out that way, really, i probably didnt type it right.

Dishsoap said:
I know. This could mean anything from "you know how to multiply matrices" to "you have an in-depth knowledge of vector spaces and bases", and seeing as it's only one with ~10 other unrelated topics, I'm leaning more towards the former.

Im sorry dishsoap but i don't understand what you mean by this, could you tell it to me in another way?

Dishsoap said:
I did look up the syllabus and posted a summary above:

IGCSE is an "international" version of the GCSE exams all kids do here in England when they are 16 years old. GCSEs are the last exams you do as part of your secondary education (=the last part of the compulsory education) before you do your A-levels (my step-son will be doing his GCSE math exams in the spring).
Some GCSE math is actually quite advanced, but it will obviously not cover e.g. calculus at the level you would e.g. find in a first university course in the same subject.

So is it reasonable to conclude Onimorf has the experience of a typical entering college freshman?

Onimorf said:
Im sorry dishsoap but i don't understand what you mean by this, could you tell it to me in another way?

If you do not understand what I said, then you need more background in linear algebra. You understand only how to do things with matrices, but you do not understand the theory or concepts behind what matrices and vectors represent, which is the very foundation of quantum mechanics (and prerequisite knowledge).

I'm going to repeat what the others said, but without the condescension. You need to take calculus and linear algebra before you can begin to study quantum mechanics efficiently.

f95toli said:
IGCSE is an "international" version of the GCSE exams all kids do here in England when they are 16 years old. GCSEs are the last exams you do as part of your secondary education (=the last part of the compulsory education) before you do your A-levels (my step-son will be doing his GCSE math exams in the spring).
Some GCSE math is actually quite advanced, but it will obviously not cover e.g. calculus at the level you would e.g. find in a first university course in the same subject.

Exactly f95toli. I have not done the A-Levels however, in my case we had up to grade 13(which is A-levels) but i have done up to grade 11. 12th grade is AS levels. I have finished 11th grade, i answered my 11th grade board exams, IGCSE board exams in 2016 may/june batch.

Dishsoap said:
If you do not understand what I said, then you need more background in linear algebra. You understand only how to do things with matrices, but you do not understand the theory or concepts behind what matrices and vectors represent, which is the very foundation of quantum mechanics (and prerequisite knowledge).

I'm going to repeat what the others said, but without the condescension. You need to take calculus and linear algebra before you can begin to study quantum mechanics efficiently.

Okay, thanks a lot dishsoap.

You need the full calculus sequence, differential equations, some linear algebra, the full elementary physics series at the level of Halliday, and ideally a little on periodic motion, at the level of French's "Waves". Then you will be ready for QM at the level of Eisberg and Resnick.

Onimorf said:
Hello,

Thanks

Here's something that you may not be aware of. You cannot learn physics in bits and pieces. You cannot JUST learn QM without learning other parts of physics such as classical mechanics and classical E&M.

For example, when you want to set up the Schrodinger equation for a central potential, such as for a hydrogen atom, how would you know what kind of a central potential to write without knowing classical E&M? Or if you want to do a quantum harmonic oscillator problem, how would you know what the potential field should be without already understanding simple harmonic problem?

This is why college courses in QM have clear prerequisites that you must satisfy BEFORE enrolling in such classes. Otherwise, things will appear out of nowhere and you won't understand why.

Zz.

I agree with Zz, however many undergrad QM courses (such as the one at my undergrad university) are taught before E&M and Classical Mechanics, and only the material learned in the general physics courses is considered to be prerequisite knowledge. It seems as though you did do a speed-run of general physics, so once you review this material and take linear algebra/calculus, you might be ready for QM at the Griffiths level.

Thanks a lot everybody for taking the time to help me out.
Just one last time to confirm; classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism and the math mentioned by everyone.

Really thanks a lot.

Theoretical Minimum: Quantum Mechanics by Leonard Susskind

Or

You can just search the lecture series on YouTube.

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_toc.html

The good QM presentation with the lightest pre-requisite requirements is likely Book III of the Feynman lectures. But this is a bit lighter than the two semester courses in most Physics major programs, which require the prerequisites others have described above.

1. How difficult is it to learn Quantum Physics?

Learning Quantum Physics can be challenging, as it involves understanding complex concepts such as quantum mechanics, quantum states, and quantum entanglement. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, it is possible to grasp these concepts and excel in the subject.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to learn Quantum Physics?

Yes, having a solid understanding of mathematics is crucial in learning Quantum Physics. This includes topics such as linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. These mathematical tools are essential in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How can I practice and apply my knowledge of Quantum Physics?

To practice and apply your knowledge of Quantum Physics, it is essential to solve problems and work through exercises. This will help you to better understand the concepts and their applications. Additionally, conducting experiments and simulations can also aid in solidifying your understanding of Quantum Physics.

4. What resources are available for learning Quantum Physics?

There are various resources available for learning Quantum Physics, including textbooks, online courses, lectures, and research papers. It is important to find a resource that best fits your learning style and level of understanding. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or joining study groups can also be helpful in learning Quantum Physics.

5. Can I learn Quantum Physics on my own, without attending a formal course?

Yes, it is possible to learn Quantum Physics on your own, but it may require more dedication and self-discipline. Utilizing resources such as textbooks, online courses, and problem sets can help in self-learning. It is also recommended to seek guidance and feedback from experts in the field to ensure a thorough understanding of the subject.