How to Locate the Center of Gravity

In summary: Hi HallsofIvy,Thanks for your swift reply. However, i probably need some examples to get a better idea of how it is done. I have sketched an object made up of 2 cuboids as attached. The one on top is of 50x70x55 mm^3 and the one below is 100x150x40 mm^3. Say the density for the cuboid on top is 7800 kg/m^3 and the density for the cuboid at the bottom is 7000 kg/m^3. The COG for both cuboids are apparently at the center of the respective cuboids. How am i supposed to locate the COG of the object as a whole?First
siukwok
Hi,

I have some questions regarding on the locating of the center of gravity. I have read some txtbk regarding on finding the COG for structure/element that is homogeneous. Therefore, the COG will conincide with the centroid of the the volume. Am i right to say that homogeneous structure/element means that it is made up of the same material? How am i supposed to find the COG if the element is made up of different materials? Lastly, if i know the COG of several components (of different materials) which are subsequently fixed together, am i right to say that it has to be treated as a problem in relation to non-homogeneous element? My boss has tasked me to find out how this is done but i have difficulties finding relevant reading materials for the above problems. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Siukwok

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, saying that an object is "homogeneous" means it made of the same material throughout so, in particular, the density is constant. if the objecft is not homogeneously but the density varies continuously, and the geometry of the figure is reasonably simple, you can try integrating the density to find the mass: [itex]M= \int\int\int_V \rho dV[/itex] where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density funcdtion.

Then the x, y, and z coordinates of the center of mass are given by
[tex]\overline{x}= \int\int\int x\rho dV/M[/tex]
[tex]\overline{y}= \int\int\int y\rho dV/M[/tex]
[tex]\overline{z}= \int\int\int z\rho dV/M[/tex]

If the the object can be divided into several pieces, each being uniform, you can find the center of mass of each piece then form a "weighted" average of the coordinates, weighted by the mass of each piece.

Hi HallsofIvy,

Thanks for ur swift reply. However, i probably need some examples to get a better idea of how it is done. I have sketched an object made up of 2 cuboids as attached. The one on top is of 50x70x55 mm^3 and the one below is 100x150x40 mm^3. Say the density for the cuboid on top is 7800 kg/m^3 and the density for the cuboid at the bottom is 7000 kg/m^3. The COG for both cuboids are apparently at the center of the respective cuboids. How am i supposed to locate the COG of the object as a whole?

Thanks!

Siukwok

Attachments

• Part1.JPG
    Part1.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 584
wish you were able to get it worked out!http://www.hergoods.info/avatar1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First find the center of mass of each block. For a symmetric object made of the same material, its just the geometric center. Now fix the blocks together and write their center locations in terms of some overall coordinate system. (for instance, if two blocks are combined and then place flat on a table, you would say the upper block's center is 3 inches from the tabletop, y2 = 3, and the bottom block's center is 0.5 inch from the tabletop, y1 = 0.5; the upper block's center is 5 inches from the table edge, x2 = 5, etc.) Also measure the mass of each block. The center of mass of the two blocks combined is then:

x = (m1 x1 + m2 x2)/(m1 + m2)

y = (m1 y1 + m2 y2)/(m1 + m2)

z = (m1 z1 + m2 z2)/(m1 + m2)

This is what HallsofIvy meant by a weighted average, but this is really just a simplified version of the integrals he gave.

Thank you so much! =)

1. How do you calculate the center of gravity?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the weight of each individual part of an object and multiplying it by its distance from a reference point. Then, add up all the products and divide by the total weight of the object.

2. What is the importance of locating the center of gravity?

Locating the center of gravity is important because it helps determine the stability and balance of an object. It also helps in designing and building structures or vehicles that need to be balanced and stable.

3. Can the center of gravity change?

Yes, the center of gravity can change depending on the position and orientation of an object. For example, if an object is tilted or rotated, its center of gravity will also shift.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its center of gravity?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its center of gravity. Objects with a wider base and lower center of gravity are more stable compared to objects with a narrow base and higher center of gravity.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the center of gravity?

Knowing the center of gravity is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and construction. It helps in designing and building stable structures, determining the stability of vehicles, and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.