How to measure output voltage of B200?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of measuring the power and voltage output from the B200 SDR device using an oscilloscope. The participant shares that they usually use an Oscilloscope Tester Scope Clip Probe to attach the battery's cathode and anode to the oscilloscope, but the B200 only has SMA and BNC connectors and no ground connection. They ask for advice on how to measure the voltage of the device. The conversation also mentions a BNC/TNC adaptor for scope probes and recommends using coax instead of a probe for better accuracy.
Nate Duong
Hi,

I am a new student and trying to to measure the power and voltage output from B200 SDR device (https://www.ettus.com/content/files/b200-b210_spec_sheet.pdf) using oscilloscope (TDS3000 Series: https://www.atecorp.com/ATECorp/media/pdfs/data-sheets/Tektronix-TDS3000_Series_Manual.pdf)

Usually, when I measure the the voltage of the battery or even 5V itself on the oscilloscope, I use the Oscilloscope Tester Scope Clip Probe to attach the cathode and anode of the battery.

But the B200 ettus has only SMA and BNC connector, there is no way connect to the ground.

Does anyone know the way the measure the voltage of this device?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The shell of the connector, SMA or BNC, is Ground.

Likes Nate Duong
There is a BNC/TNC adaptor for scope probes. Sometimes it looks like a BNC/TNC connector with no locking ring and sometimes it is merely a cylinder that adapts the tip to the connector.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cal-test-electronics/CT3655/CT3655-ND/5029183
The top silver item in this picture is a shabbier version of the above:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/teledyne-lecroy/PK001/PK001-ND/4941393

One designed specifically for you probe will work best but a brand mismatch will often work. As long as the clips in the adapter and the pin and barrel on your probe will fit together and make proper electrical contact it is fine.

I can't find a picture of the cylinder type one online. You will likely need one of the above as the newer probes usually don't have a pin large enough for the connector.

BoB

Likes Nate Duong
The output of that RF generator board likely has a 50 Ohm output impedance. If you measure it with your 'scope probe, the mismatch in impedance will give you a 2x error in the output amplitude.

Also, you will not get the best bandwidth for this measurement with a 'scope probe. You should run coax from the generator board directly into your 'scope. Use a BNC-to-BNC cable and an SMA adapter to connect to the board, and use the 50 Ohm input impedance setting on the channel of your 'scope that you want to make the measurement on.

Also, it looks like the RF generator board can go a lot higher in frequency than your 'scope can measure, but you still should be able to characterize the lower frequency outputs of your board.

1. How do I measure the output voltage of B200?

To measure the output voltage of B200, you will need a voltmeter or multimeter. Connect the positive probe of the voltmeter to the positive output terminal of the B200 and the negative probe to the negative output terminal. Make sure the B200 is powered on and then read the voltage displayed on the voltmeter.

2. What is the range of output voltage for B200?

The range of output voltage for B200 can vary depending on the specific model and settings. However, most B200 models have a range of 0-30 volts. It is important to check the specifications of your particular B200 to determine the exact range of output voltage.

3. How accurate is the output voltage measurement of B200?

The accuracy of the output voltage measurement for B200 depends on the precision of the voltmeter or multimeter being used. Most voltmeters have an accuracy of ±0.5%, so the output voltage measurement should be fairly accurate. However, it is always recommended to calibrate your voltmeter periodically to ensure accurate readings.

4. Can I measure the output voltage of B200 without a voltmeter?

No, a voltmeter or multimeter is necessary to measure the output voltage of B200. These devices are specifically designed to measure voltage and provide accurate readings. Attempting to measure the output voltage of B200 without a voltmeter may result in inaccurate readings or potential damage to the device.

5. How can I ensure my output voltage measurement is accurate?

To ensure accurate output voltage measurements, it is important to use a reliable and calibrated voltmeter. Additionally, make sure to properly connect the probes to the correct terminals and to take multiple measurements to confirm the consistency of the readings. If you are still unsure about the accuracy of your measurement, consult the manufacturer's instructions or contact a professional for assistance.