How to model the flight kinematics of an airplane with air resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations for a 2-D airplane's motion, specifically during takeoff and landing. The assumptions made include air resistance force, constant lift coefficients, pressure, and area, as well as constant acceleration. Suggestions are given to use Newton's laws and solve differential equations, with additional resources provided. The possibility of the horizontal and vertical components of the equations mixing is also mentioned, as well as the need for an initial value problem to account for the starting angle of the airplane's motion.
Meowy
I want to derive some equations for a 2-D airplane's motion, specifically when it lifts off and lands. Can someone show me where I can start and how I can use differential equations to develop equations like the speed/position of the airplane in its x and y components?

Also, if anyone is wondering, the assumptions I'm making is that there's an air resistance force that acts opposite to the instantaneous direction of motion and is proportional to the speed of the aircraft at that point (also constant lift coefficients, pressure, area). I also want to assume that the aircraft is accelerating with a constant force.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, a very simple model.
You want a constant thrust and given lift coef, and const. weight. Weight always points down.
Does the thrust always point in the same direction? What about lift?

You want to model drag as a force proportional to the velocity, in the opposite direction?

All you need are Newton's laws, and the ability to draw vectors and solve differential equations.

Thanks for the links and help! However, I'm a bit confused as to how the vertical and horizontal components of the differential equations associate with each other? For instance, I think the basic equation to integrate with for both the x and y components are dv/dt = a -kv^2 for each where a is like the acceleration of gravity for y component and the acceleration of the plane for x component (k being constant contributing to air resistance).

So, integrating each of the differential equations can get me an equation in terms of the instantaneous Vx or Vy of the plane and then going even further, the positions. But is there a way to somehow link the vx and vy and their respective equations?

Also, I'm wondering how it's possible to model a motion if the plane's acceleration or lift is starting at an angle? Can I, for instance, say acos(θ) is the horizontal component of that acceleration and use that in the equation?

If your drag depends only to first order on velocity, the horizontal and vertical components don't mix.

Calling the drag force D, then:
##\vec D= -k\vec v## then ##(D_x,D_y) = -k(v_x, v_y)## where k is the drag coefficient.

But if you have ##\vec D = -k\vec v^2## then that is more of a problem - the x and y cmponents of velocity do mix. You will have to multiply out the terms to get a pair of couple DEs.

Considering drag D, thrust T, weight Mg, and lift L(v), you need to do:
$$M\frac{d}{dt}\vec v = \vec T +\vec D +\vec L +\vec L$$ ... plug in your models for each force.

You'll have to do this as an initial value problem - so solve it for ##x(0)=x_0, y_0=y_0, \vec v(0)=v(\cos\theta, \sin\theta)##. That takes care of the initial angle thing.

Note: in general the equations governing flight can get arbitrarily complicated and are usually not solved algebraically. You would need to implement some sort of dynamical calculation for small time-steps or something.

1. How does air resistance affect the flight of an airplane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an airplane through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air and the surface of the airplane. This force can slow down the airplane and affect its trajectory, making it important to consider when modeling the flight kinematics.

2. What factors affect the amount of air resistance on an airplane?

The amount of air resistance on an airplane depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the airplane, its speed, and the density of the air. The shape and size of the airplane determine its aerodynamic properties, which can either increase or decrease the amount of air resistance. Additionally, the faster the airplane moves, the more air resistance it will experience. And finally, the density of the air can also affect the amount of air resistance, with denser air creating more drag.

3. How can we calculate and incorporate air resistance into a flight kinematics model?

The most commonly used equation for calculating air resistance is the drag equation, which takes into account the velocity of the airplane, the density of the air, the frontal area of the airplane, and the drag coefficient. This equation can then be incorporated into the equations of motion to model the flight kinematics of an airplane with air resistance. However, it should be noted that this is a simplified model and there may be other factors that need to be considered based on the specific airplane and flight conditions.

4. What are some challenges in modeling the flight kinematics of an airplane with air resistance?

One of the main challenges in modeling the flight kinematics of an airplane with air resistance is obtaining accurate data for the variables involved, such as the drag coefficient and the density of the air at different altitudes. Additionally, the aerodynamic properties of an airplane can change depending on its orientation and flight conditions, making it difficult to create a single model that accurately represents all situations.

5. Are there any other forces that need to be considered when modeling the flight kinematics of an airplane?

Yes, there are other forces that can affect the flight of an airplane, such as lift, weight, and thrust. These forces work together with air resistance to determine the overall motion of the airplane. It is important to consider all of these forces when creating a flight kinematics model in order to accurately predict the behavior of the airplane in flight.