Open Fortran Program w/o MATLAB (Dipole.for)

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation discusses a need to open a Fortran program that came with a textbook on antenna design. The program has a .for extension and requires MATLAB, which the user does not have. It is suggested that any text editor, such as Windows Notepad or Wordpad, can be used to read the file. The user also asks about how to run the program, to which the response is that it depends on the program's function and user interaction. The conversation ends with the user successfully opening the program using Wordpad and providing a link to an online Fortran compiler.
yungman
I need to open a Fortran program came along with the textbook on antenna. I can't attach the file. It is a .for ( dipole.for) program. The book said it need MATLAB which I don't have. Is there any free software to open this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any kind of text editor should do the trick. The .for extension means that the Fortran source code is contained in the file. If the file is not too large, Windows Notepad or Wordpad should be able to read the file.

SteamKing said:
Any kind of text editor should do the trick. The .for extension means that the Fortran source code is contained in the file. If the file is not too large, Windows Notepad or Wordpad should be able to read the file.

Thanks

How do I run it?

yungman said:
Thanks

How do I run it?

That's a whole 'nother question.

It's going to depend on what the program does and how the user interacts with it.

SteamKing said:
That's a whole 'nother question.

It's going to depend on what the program does and how the user interacts with it.

Thanks, they are antenna design programs that you input the physical dimensions and out come the various useful parameters for the design.

I manage to open the .for using Wordpad and attached is the Dipole.txt. It is a very simple program.

Thanks

Attachments

• Dipole.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 405

1. What is Fortran and why is it used?

Fortran is a programming language that is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It is known for its efficiency in handling mathematical and scientific operations, making it a popular choice for developing complex programs and simulations.

2. How is Fortran different from other programming languages?

Fortran is a high-level, compiled language, meaning that the code is translated into machine code before execution. This makes it faster and more efficient than interpreted languages. Additionally, Fortran has specific features and syntax that are tailored to scientific and mathematical computations.

3. What is the purpose of the "Open Fortran Program w/o MATLAB" in Dipole.for?

The "Open Fortran Program w/o MATLAB" in Dipole.for refers to a specific program written in Fortran that does not require the use of MATLAB software. This means that the program can be run independently, without the need for any additional software or tools.

4. Can Dipole.for be used for any type of scientific calculation?

Dipole.for is specifically designed for calculating the electric dipole moment in a molecule. While it may be possible to modify the code for other calculations, it is not recommended as it may not yield accurate or reliable results.

5. Do I need any prior knowledge of Fortran to use Dipole.for?

Yes, a basic understanding of Fortran programming is necessary to use Dipole.for. This includes knowledge of Fortran syntax, data types, and programming concepts. It is recommended to have some experience in scientific programming before attempting to use Dipole.for.