Can Orbital Viewer help visualize complex orbitals?

In summary, this website explains how to understand the shapes of the atomic orbitals by using a software called Orbital Viewer.
kuahji
I'm not sure why, but I could never really picture & grasp this concept. Say you're drawing the orbitals of an atom, the 1s & 2s orbitals are pretty easy to draw. They are just spheres with a node in between them. Now do these orbitals overlap, or does one start where the node ends? What really got me to ask the question is, I've got no idea about the 2p orbital, because all the pictures in the textbook show it starting at origin in the xyz plane.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do no general chemistry textbooks shows figures of orbitals? Best guess is that some orbitals overlap others - only a guess at this time from me. Smarter people should comment.

I think your talking about showing the orbitals in terms of quantum calculations, therefore the 1s orbital has an extremely high proability at just over 0pm away from the nucleus then decays from that point onward. As for 2s this has a small probability of being fairly close to the nucleus, then a node, then a hightened probability, if you were to plot radial distance against proability it would give a "2 humped" graph.

As for P-Orbitals, they have a "1 humped" disribution if its a 2p orbital, the proability of occurring close to the nucleus is MUCH lower than a 1s orbital, a 3p orbital has two humps, one small then one bigger.

Its difficult to explain it in words, since the orbital shapes are primarily calculated from quantum numbers, and the distributions are calculated from single electron system wavefunctions but, that's what the internets here for.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hydwf.html

This website shows the probability distributions for a hydrogenic atom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics

This seems a bit of a missed cause, but scroll down slightly and you will see some red looking orbital pictures, which are calculated from a hydrogen atom and give a visual overlook of the orbitals.

Going DEEP into this sort of stuff can be painful though, as different chemists can have different views on the atomic orbitals, some organic chemists may go along the lines of saying that all orbitals are like that for multi-electron systems (like iron actually having d orbitals "Pokeing out" and causing ligand field splitting in coordination chemistry). But at least in my chemistry department the physical chemists make it quite clear that the molecular orbital approach of having 1 wavefunction to display an entire atom means that the orbitals are generally "approximated" to be the shape of the hydrogenically calculated ones, but in reality to my quantum prof he makes it unbelieveably clear that "orbitals don't exist" for multi-electron systems.

So yeah, it becomes a massive headache that mainly comes from the fact that solving the scrodinger equation for multi-electron systems is incredibly difficult.

Last edited:
I had this same issue as you. I needed a picture, something like the Bohr model. But the config is just too cloudy--pardon the pun--to make a picture. What really helped me get a grip on the whole 1s 2s 2p thing was from a chart that I found at the below listed link:

http://www.emsb.qc.ca/laurenhill/science/configuration.pdf

Hope that helps

Orbital Viewer.

Search in google for a software called "Orbital Viewer". It can give u a 3 dimensional model of any orbital. You can specify the quantum numbers (n,l,m) and certain other parameters to get the shape of the orbital. Its very interesting.

1. What are orbitals?

Orbitals are regions of space around an atomic nucleus where electrons are most likely to be found. They describe the probability of finding an electron at a particular location and have distinct shapes and energies.

2. How are orbitals visualized?

Orbitals are typically visualized using 3D models or diagrams. The most common representation is the electron cloud, which shows the probability of finding an electron at different points in space. Other representations include contour plots and isosurfaces.

3. What do the different shapes of orbitals represent?

The shapes of orbitals represent the different energy levels and subshells within an atom. S orbitals are spherical and have the lowest energy, while p orbitals are dumbbell-shaped and have slightly higher energy. D and f orbitals have more complex shapes and correspond to even higher energy levels.

4. How do orbitals relate to the periodic table?

The arrangement of electrons in orbitals is related to the periodic table. Each row in the table corresponds to a new energy level, while each column represents a new subshell. The number of electrons in each subshell follows specific rules, such as the maximum of 2 electrons in an s orbital and 6 in a p orbital.

5. Can orbitals overlap?

Yes, orbitals can overlap. When this happens, the electrons in the overlapping orbitals repel each other and form bonds. This is how atoms come together to form molecules and compounds. The specific type of bonding depends on the type of orbital overlap and the elements involved.