How to pronounce 'Christoffel'

• Thread starter westwood
  • Start date
Kinda silly question. I would like to know how to pronounce 'Christoffel'. If I were to take a stab at it, I would guess two syllables 'Christ' (as in 'grist', with a ch as in 'Christopher') and 'offel' as in 'awful'. Am I close?

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Kinda silly question. I would like to know how to pronounce 'Christoffel'. If I were to take a stab at it, I would guess two syllables 'Christ' (as in 'grist', with a ch as in 'Christopher') and 'offel' as in 'awful'. Am I close?
That's how I remember my GR prof saying it. Accent on the first syllable.

Nabeshin

Science Advisor
How my professor/TA/associates pronounce it as well.

Ich

Science Advisor
Yep, like Christopher, but the accent is on the 'o', the second last syllable.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
I agree with Ich- accent on the second syllable: "Crist-AH-fel", not "CRIST-a-fel". That would be an "English" pronunciation and Christoffel was German.

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nowadays, students calculate by hand the Christoffel symbols for a few systems as a rite of passage, and then, if they get serious about GR, use computer algebra packages to do the calculations.

A "retired" astrophysicist whom I know took a GR course in 60s when "by hand" (often quite painful) was the only method available, and he always uses the pronunciation "Christ awful symbols":biggrin:.