How to prove a one to one function A -> A is also a onto function?

• Thread starter GreenApple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, you are trying to prove that any injective function from a finite set to itself is bijective. However, this is wrong, as any injective function from a finite set to itself is also injective.
GreenApple
I was doing a math problem this morning and realized that the solution lied in the fact that if a function of A -> A is one to one then it is onto. It is so obvious that I have been taking it for granted for so long time.
But now when I think of it deeply, I find it very interesting and relating to some foundational questions like set theory and relation.
Hope you can join with me working on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't true. It is true if and only if A is finite.

matt grime said:
It isn't true. It is true if and only if A is finite.
Yeah, sorry I forgot to say A is finite. It is obviously not true for infinite A(like 1->2, 2->4, 3->6...).
Thanks for that.:-p

And you reminded me that the one of the most interesting things is that a property applies to finite set but fail when it comes to infinite set. And that is one of the reasons why I put up this theme. I was thinking that proving that might give you a insight into the nature of finite sets and infinite sets.

Hope you are not taking this a waste of time.
More discussion please!

I think it will make some sense to try this way:

I assume that a set A is finite if and only if we can get a one to one function A->S(n) where S(n) is the set { 1, 2, ..., n }, and we say that set A is of size n.

Since we want to prove that the ONE TO ONE function f(x) A->A is onto,
we have to draw "for every x in A, there exist a 'a' such that f(a)=x" from "if x!=y, then f(x)!=f(y)"
We do it exactly as planed. for every x, we need to find a 'a' such f(a)=x. We can get that 'a' this way:
1: we set S=A, k=1
2: we check whether f(k)=x, if yes, we are done, if no, we go on our process.
3: we reset S=A-{k}, k=k+1, goto step2

It is easy to prove that ether we find that 'a' within testing the first n-1 elements of A, which is wanted, or we have to go through testing the last element. In the latter case, S has a form of {v} of size 1, and k=n, which can be proved by induction. Since x has to be S now and before and S is of size 1, v has to be x, and f(k) always has to be in S, we get f(n)=x, which is also what we wanted.
That is "for every x in A, there exist a 'a' such that f(a)=x"
(by k,1...I mean elements of A)

I did not give too much detail, for that would be boring.

Last edited:
GreenApple said:
I think it will make some sense to try this way:

I assume that a set A is finite if and only if we can get a one to one function A->S(n) where S(n) is the set { 1, 2, ..., n }, and we say that set A is of size n.

I have no idea what you want to do, but this is wrong. if there is a one to one function from A to the set [1,..,n], then there is a one to one function from A to any set with more than n elements. Thus A has size n,n+1,n+2,...

What is it you're trying to prove? That any injective function from a finite set to itself is bijective?

matt grime said:
I have no idea what you want to do, but this is wrong. if there is a one to one function from A to the set [1,..,n], then there is a one to one function from A to any set with more than n elements. Thus A has size n,n+1,n+2,...

What is it you're trying to prove? That any injective function from a finite set to itself is bijective?

Thanks, teacher! Your advise always helps!
What a stupid mistake I made
The right thing to do may be to say "a set A is finite if and only if we can get a one to one function A->S(n) where S(n) is the set { 1, 2, ..., n }, and we can also get a one to one function S(n)->A. And we say that set A is of size n"
I don't know whether it is right this time. I once readed something about Cantor's work, I figure this is his way to count. I could be wrong.

What did I try to prove?
I was trying to prove "for every x in A, there exist a 'a' such that f(a)=x", which I called 'onto'.
My English is not very good and I only have known the term 'one to one' and 'onto'. I figure 'injective' means 'one to one' and 'bijective' means 'one to one and onto'. Right?

By the way, how can I put mathematical signs here? I saw someone do it once. Using natural language to express mathematics becomes a bad ideal sometime.

Let A be a finite set with, say, n elements (which means there exist a one to one and onto function A-> {1, 2, ..., n}), f a one to one function from A to itself. If f were not "onto", then B= f(A) is a proper subset of A. Since B is a proper subset of finite set A, it smaller than A: there exist a one to one onto function B->{1, 2, ... m} with m< n. But then we have a one to one function from A onto B and so can define a one to one function from {1, 2, ..., n} onto {1, 2, ..., m}.

HallsofIvy said:
Let A be a finite set with, say, n elements (which means there exist a one to one and onto function A-> {1, 2, ..., n}), f a one to one function from A to itself. If f were not "onto", then B= f(A) is a proper subset of A. Since B is a proper subset of finite set A, it smaller than A: there exist a one to one onto function B->{1, 2, ... m} with m< n. But then we have a one to one function from A onto B and so can define a one to one function from {1, 2, ..., n} onto {1, 2, ..., m}.
Thanks, professor! That is a beautiful proof. I think my problem is solved.

But, I can't help but show some interesting point here.
First, I think a set A is finite if and only if there exist some n which we refer to as the size of A, such that "there exist a one to one and onto function A-> {1, 2, ..., n}" as the professor says.
In the proof given by the professor, we should prove "Since B is a proper subset of finite set A, it smaller than A: there exist a one to one onto function B->{1, 2, ... m} with m< n." which seem obvious at first sight.

The ground is this theorem: if there exist a one to one and onto function A-> {1, 2, ..., n}, then for any x in A the following is true: there exist a one to one and onto function Ax-> {1, 2, ..., n-1} where Ax={y|y is in A and y!=x}
Proof: there has to be a p in A such f(p)=n, if we make f'(p)=f(x), f'(x)=n,f'(y)=f(y) elsewhere, f' is also an one to one and onto function.
We make a function g Ax->{1,2,...,n-1} by g(y)=f'(y) which can be done because that if y is in Ax then it is also in A, and obviously g is an one to one and onto function.

Last edited:
No, it may be not so obvious to you that g is onto, so let me add somthing.
For any m in the set {1,2,...,n-1}, there is a y in A such that f'(y)=m(because f' is onto), but y!=x because f'(x)=n, which leed to that y is in Ax. So for any m in {1,2,...,n-1}, there is a y in Ax such that g(y)=m, which is to say "g is onto".

Related to How to prove a one to one function A -> A is also a onto function?

1. How do I prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you must show that for every input in the domain, there is a unique output in the codomain. This can be done by using the horizontal line test, where a horizontal line can only intersect the graph of the function once.

2. What is the definition of an onto function?

An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a function where every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. In other words, every output in the range is mapped to by at least one input in the domain.

3. How can I prove that a one-to-one function is also onto?

To prove that a one-to-one function is also onto, you must show that every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. This can be done by using the vertical line test, where a vertical line can intersect the graph of the function at most once.

4. What is the difference between a one-to-one function and an onto function?

A one-to-one function only maps each element in the domain to one unique element in the codomain, while an onto function ensures that every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain.

5. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto, in which case it is called a bijective function. This means that every element in the codomain has exactly one preimage in the domain, and every element in the domain has exactly one image in the codomain.