1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove solution to Fick's second law by substitution

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to prove that a solution to the differential equation Fick's second law is valid by substitution.

2. Relevant equations
    Fick's second law:
    [tex] \frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( D \frac{C}{\partial x} \right) [/tex]
    Solution to Fick's second law:
    [tex] C(x,t) = \left( \frac{C_1 + C_2}{2} \right) - \left( \frac{C_1 - C_2}{2} \right) \text{erf} \left( \frac{x}{2 \sqrt{Dt}} \right) [/tex]
    The (Gauss) error function (erf) which I found online:
    [tex] \text{erf}(z) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_o^z e^{-y^2} dy [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I presume I am supposed to differentiate the proposed solution with respect to t once and compare it to the proposed solution differentiated twice with respect to x? But I am not sure how i shall handle the integral.

Can someone help me/point me to literature or give me some pointers on how to proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have taken Calculus, then you should know "the fundamental theorem of Calculus"-
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^x f(t) dt= f(x)[/tex]

4. Sep 6, 2014 #3
    @HallsofIvy - Thanks for a reply. The problem bugging me though, is that i do not have [itex] x [/itex], but [itex] \frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}[/itex], such that:

[tex] \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \int_0^{\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}} e^{-y^2}dy [/tex]

5. Sep 6, 2014 #4
    Is this the correct change of limits and function of the integral?
    [tex]

\frac{\partial}{\partial x} C(x,t) = -B \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_0^{\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}} e^{-y^2}dy = -B \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \int_0^x e^{-y^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1}}dy = -B e^{-x^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1}}\\
    \frac{\partial^2}{\partial^2 x}C(x,t) = -B \frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{-x^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1}} = -B e^{-x^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left( -x^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1} \right) = B \frac{2}{Dt}\cdot x e^{-x^2\left(4Dt \right)^{-1}}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. Sep 6, 2014 #5
    Solved it!

I finally understood how it worked :wink:

[tex]

D\frac{\partial}{\partial x} C(x,t) = -BD \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\int_0^{\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}} e^{-y^2}dy = -BD e^{-\left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right)^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right) = -BD e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}} \left(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right) \\= \frac{-BD}{2\sqrt{Dt}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}} \\
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( D \frac{C(x,t)}{\partial x} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{-BD}{2\sqrt{Dt}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}} = \frac{-BD}{2\sqrt{Dt}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( - \frac{x^2}{4Dt} \right) \\= \frac{BDx}{4}\left( Dt \right)^{-\frac{3}{2}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}}\\

\frac{\partial}{\partial t} = -B \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_0^{\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}} e^{-y^2}dy = -B e^{-\left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right)^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right) = -B e^{-\left(\frac{x}{2\sqrt{Dt}}\right)^2} \left( - \frac{Dx}{4(Dt)^{3/2}} \right) \\= \frac{BDx}{4}\left( Dt \right)^{-\frac{3}{2}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{4Dt}} \qquad \square

[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted