Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to recover a corrupt 2007 Outlook pst file

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    I renamed a pst file on our server. I didn't make sure that Outlook was closed. I went to rename the pst and it corrupted the file. How can I get this to read as a .pst file again.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    Golden rule of all file based computing - Always always keep a backup copy of important data files, do it frequently.
    I don't know exactly what corruption has occurred so I can't help with the specifics of your issue.
    If the file is now correctly named and Outlook can't read it there may not be a practical solution, the file will need to be recreated.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3
    If you are running windows vista or higher, you may have the option to restore an earlier version of the file. There is a service in windows called volume shadow copy and it makes backups of files. Hopefully you have an older copy you can restore to.

Here's page with steps and screenshots of a how to in windows 7. It's very similar in other versions of windows
    http://www.wintips.org/restore-deleted-files-using-shadow-copy/

Scroll down to method 1 and give that a go. Hopefully, luck is on your side and an earlier version is present.

5. Nov 26, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This looks like a setup for spam.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook